State of Alaska
Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Most ADF&G website information and services will not be available on Sunday, October 11 as the State of Alaska will be doing planned maintenance in Juneau on that date between 5 am – 9 pm AKST. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Transport and Possession Permits

Under Alaska law, a permit must be obtained from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) in order to collect, possess, or transport wildlife, fish, shellfish, amphibian, or aquatic plant resources for educational, scientific, or propagative uses. A different set of rules applies in the case of ornamental species, or for importing exotic pets or livestock into Alaska. A permit from ADF&G is also required for non-commercial control (including harassment or hazing) of nuisance wild birds or small mammals.

Depending on their intended use of fish or wildlife, researchers and educators may need one or more fish resource permits (for fish, amphibians or aquatic plants) or an educational, wildlife possession, or scientific collection permit (for mammals, birds, or reptiles). To access application forms and information for various transport and possession permits, click on the appropriate category below.