Website Feedback Button
Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Subsistence and Personal Use
Fishing Licenses & Permits

All Alaska residents, and ONLY Alaska residents, are eligible to participate in both Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries. Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries are managed under different regulations. A valid Resident Sport Fishing License is required to participate in Personal Use fisheries, but is not required to participate in Subsistence fisheries.

  • Some Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries require a permit issued by ADF&G and some do not.
    (See the Interior, Southcentral,and Southeast information in the left column for additional information.)
  • Some waters are closed to Subsistence fishing and/or Personal Use fishing.
  • All Subsistence halibut fisheries are managed by the federal government. For additional information see NOAA's Subsistence Halibut Fishing in Alaska Information.
  • Some fisheries have season, gear, and bag limit restrictions.
  • Always contact the closest regional or area ADF&G offices prior to harvesting fish or shellfish under Subsistence or Personal Use regulations.
Please take a moment to help us improve your experience at the ADF&G website.
How did you arrive at our website?
Why did you visit our website today?
Did you find what you were looking for?
How easy or hard was it to find?
Very Easy Very Hard
Please provide any other comments or suggestions about your experience on the ADF&G website.

Having Trouble with this form?