Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Subsistence & Personal Use Permits Home
- Sport vs Subsistence vs Personal Use Fishing
- Sport Fish Licenses
- Interior Alaska
- Southcentral Alaska
- Southeastern Alaska
Subsistence and Personal Use
Fishing Licenses & Permits
All Alaska residents, and ONLY Alaska residents, are eligible to participate in both Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries. Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries are managed under different regulations. A valid Resident Sport Fishing License is required to participate in Personal Use fisheries, but is not required to participate in Subsistence fisheries.
- Some Subsistence and Personal Use fisheries require a permit issued by ADF&G and some do not.
(See the Interior, Southcentral,and Southeast information in the left column for addtional information.)
- Some waters are closed to Subsistence fishing and/or Personal Use fishing.
- All Subsistence halibut fisheries are managed by the federal government. For additonal information see NOAA's Subsistence Halibut Fishing in Alaska Information.
- Some fisheries have season, gear, and bag limit restrictions.
- Always contact the closest regional or area ADF&G offices prior to harvesting fish or shellfish under Subsistence or Personal Use regulations.