State of Alaska
Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Section Navigation

Fishing and Hunting License
General FAQ

License Frequently Asked Questions

In Alaska, a license is required to participate in hunting and trapping; sport, commercial, and personal use fishing; and sport fish guiding or hunting guiding. A number of different licenses are available at different prices for residents, non-residents, members of the military, and residents who are Disabled Veterans or who are age 60 or older. Most licenses, as well as King Salmon and Alaska Duck stamps, can be purchased online. Resident Senior Citizen and Disabled Veteran license information and applications can be found on our Disabled and Senior License Section of our website.

In order to harvest many different species, you may also need a harvest tag, a special stamp, or a permit in addition to your hunting or fishing license. To learn more hunting regulations and sport fishing regulations visit the Regulations Section of our site or contact one of the ADF&G information centers.

Age Requirements

Fishing, Hunting, Trapping Licenses: Residents under the age of 18 do not need to purchase a hunting, sport fishing or trapping license. Non-residents under the age of 16 do not need to purchase a sport fishing license but they do need to purchase a hunting and/or trapping license.

When sport fishing for species with an annual limit, resident anglers under the age of 18 and nonresident anglers under the age of 16 are required to record their harvest on the free Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card. The card is available online, at license vendors, and at Fish and Game offices. Species with an annual limit are listed in the General Regulations section in area sport fish regulation summary books.

Residents (Under Age 10) Nonresident (Under Age 10)
  • No hunting license
  • Use supervising hunter's tag
  • No harvest ticket/permit
  • Hunting license
  • Tag required
  • No harvest ticket/permit
  • Must be supervised by a licensed hunter at least 16 years of age
  • Use supervising hunter's harvest ticket/permit
  • Bag limit will go towards supervising hunter
Residents (Age 10–17) Nonresident (Age 10+)
  • No hunting license
  • Tags required for applicable species
  • Does not require state duck stamp
  • Hunting license
  • Tag required
  • Harvest ticket/permit required
  • Has own bag limit
Resident (Under Age 18) Nonresident (Under Age 16)
  • No fishing license
  • Harvest record card required

Alaska Resident Seniors

Residents of the state who are 60 years of age or older and meet the Fish and Game residency definition may obtain a Permanent Identification Card which will be issued without charge after completing an application, for more information see Resident Senior Citizen Licenses.

For sportfishing, Alaska senior residents need to record their harvest of sport fish on a free Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card available online, at license vendors, and at Fish and Game offices.

Child Crewmember Licenses

Child crewmember licenses are available for residents and nonresidents for ages 10 years or younger at a discounted rate.

How Long is License Good For?

Licenses are good from the date of purchase through December 31 of the license year. The exceptions to this are the resident trapping licenses which are valid through September 30 of the next calendar year and the nonresident fishing licenses which are good for only 1, 3, 7 or 14 days.

Do I need a King Salmon Stamp?

King Salmon Stamps are required for anyone sport fishing for anadromous king salmon except for residents under the age of 18 and nonresidents under the age of 16 and persons who have these license types: resident blind fishing license, resident low income license, resident senior license, and a resident disabled Veteran's license.

Do I Need a Big Game Tag?

Resident Licensee: If you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bears or muskox a big game tag may be required. Please see the current hunting regulations for details.

Nonresident Military Licensee: Yes, if you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bear, goat (free), muskox, or sheep (free). See definition of a nonresident military licensee and more information on qualifying for military licenses.

Nonresident / Nonresident Alien Licensee: Yes, if you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bear, black bear, bison, caribou, deer, elk, goat, moose, bull musk ox, sheep, wolf, or wolverine. See definition of a nonresident or nonresident alien licensee.

Higher Priced Tag as Replacement

If you are unable to purchase the tag you need, you can purchase another tag at the same or higher price and use that tag for the species you plan to hunt.

Do I Need a Duck Stamp?

Required for anyone who hunts waterfowl except for residents under the age of 18, and persons who have these license types: resident low income license, resident senior license, and a resident disabled Veteran's license.

Yukon Resident Sport Fishing License and King Stamp

During the 2004 Legislative session, Senate Bill 56 passed. It allows the Commissioner of Fish and Game authority to adopt regulations authorizing residents of the Yukon to receive an Alaskan sport fishing license and king salmon stamp at resident rates. The regulation became effective February 13, 2005.

Residents of Yukon, Canada may purchase a Class 11, Yukon Reciprocal annual sport fishing license and a king salmon stamp at Alaska resident rates. In order to do so, Yukon residents will need to provide a copy of their current resident Yukon sport fishing license and a valid Yukon Territory government issued identification card to an Alaskan license vendor. If you have not met the Yukon's requirements to be considered a resident, then you cannot purchase a Yukon Reciprocal sport fishing license/king salmon stamp. This special license is available from any license vendor selling sport licenses. If you have any questions, please contact ADF&G Licensing at .

Lost/Destroyed License/Tag/Stamp

If your sport or commercial crewmember license, big game locking tag, king salmon or duck stamp is lost/destroyed, you may purchase a duplicate for $5.00. Please visit your local license vendor or Department of Fish and Game office, and request a duplicate license/tag/stamp.

Refund of Licenses, Stamps and Big Game Locking Tags

Refunds are processed in the Juneau Headquarters Licensing office only. Please provide a written explanation to the refund request and include any original license, stamp or tag that you believe should be refunded, along with any supporting documentation for the refund. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. If your request for a refund does not meet the criteria listed below, you will be sent a denial letter and the original licensing items will be returned to you.

Refunds are regulated by Alaska Administrative Code 5 AAC 93.530 which states:

  1. A person who wishes to obtain a refund of a license fee must apply by submitting a written request directly to the department, including the person's original license and supporting documentation that shows the person meets the requirements in (b) of this section.
  2. A refund of a license fee will be granted by the department under this section only if the licensee or the licensee's representative demonstrates to the satisfaction of the department that the licensee was unable to make any use of the license as a result of:
    1. the death or serious disabling illness or injury of the licensee that occurred after the licensee's purchase of the license and before the opening of any season for which the license may have been used; in the case of a serious disabling illness or injury, the illness or injury must have lasted until all seasons for which the license may be used are closed;
    2. the permanent cancellation of the opening of all seasons to which the license applied, rendering the license unusable at any time during the year for which it was issued; or
    3. a catastrophic event that the department determines justifies a refund of the license fee, including a localized volcano eruption or a terror alert that prohibits the licensee's air travel to this state.
  3. A refund will not be made under this section to a licensee who is
    1. unsuccessful in the licensee's efforts to take fish or game or obtain employment as a crewmember; or
    2. unable to conduct the licensed activity due to scheduling difficulties, transportation problems, misconduct of a guide, or other circumstances that prevent the licensee from undertaking the activity the licensee had planned, but which do not prevent the licensee from undertaking licensed activities at either an earlier or later time.

If you have any questions about the refund process, please email us at or call the Licensing office at 907-465-2376.

Mailing Address to Apply for a Refund

Please send your written request for refund along with your original license/tag and any supporting documentation for the refund to the following address:

State of Alaska
Department of Fish and Game
Attn: Licensing/Refund
PO Box 115525
Juneau AK 99811-5525

Federal Requirement for Aliens Bringing Guns into the United States

The U.S. Department of Justice/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) requires nonimmigrant aliens temporarily importing firearms and ammunition into the United States to submit ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D-Application/permit for temporary importation of firearms and ammunition by nonimmigrant aliens), in order to obtain an ATF firearm import permit. This permit application must be submitted well in advance of your trip. If you have any questions about this new regulation, please contact ATF.

The form and instruction on how to submit it can be found by calling ATF at 304-616-4550 or visiting the ATF website where you can download the form 5330.3D. It takes approximately 8-10 weeks for ATF to process a 5330.3D form. Submit to ATF, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 or fax to: (304) 616-4554.

In order to submit this form, unless meeting other qualifications listed on the form, you must buy a hunting license. A hunting license can be purchased at our online store. You must send a copy of your license with the 5330.3D form to ATF, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 or fax to: (304) 616-4554.

You will need the approved ATF importation permit and your hunting license in order to clear US Customs when you arrive in the United States.

If you plan to carry a gun while traveling in Alaska for wildlife protection and not to hunt, the least expensive hunting license you can purchase is a non-resident small game license for $20. You can purchase a license at our online store.

Please remember that a hunting license is not required to carry a handgun in Alaska. A hunting license is required to apply for an importation permit from ATF, which will allow you to import it through US Customs. You can find all the regulations about carrying an unconcealed or concealed handgun in Alaska at the Alaska Department of Public Safety. There is no restriction in Alaska as to what type of handgun can be used with a small game license.

If you plan to also carry a gun into Canada, you can find more information about importing a handgun from Alaska to Canada by reviewing the Canadian Firearms Program provided by the Canadian Mounted Police.

Please note: You are considered a nonimmigrant alien under federal law for the ATF importation permit. For the Alaska hunting license, you are considered a nonresident or nonresident alien.

If you have more questions, you can contact the ATF Alaska field office at (907) 271-5701.