Commercial Fishing
License and Permits

FV DundasThe commercial fishing industry of Alaska represents a very important part of the economy and fishery resources worldwide. As with any renewable resource participants must follow practices that support sustainability. Proper licensing, permitting and reporting is essential to assist the managing agencies to ensure that we all get to enjoy these resources for years to come. Please make sure that you have contacted all of the proper agencies for your type of operation.

If you need assistance with renewing your CFEC fishing permit or vessel license call (907) 789-6150.

If you need help with a Catcher/Seller, Fish Transporter or other processing permits please contact the Seafood Industry Technician at (907) 465-6131 or

You can purchase your Alaska Commercial Crewmember License online.

Links have been provided below to assist you in ensuring that all licensing requirements have been met.

State Agencies

Department of Revenue

Issues the Fisheries Business Licenses. These are required for all processing or exporting activities.

Department of Environmental Conservation

Responsible for ensuring that seafood is maintained and processed in safe and sanitary conditions.

Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission

Provides vessel licenses as well as permits for all of the state fisheries.

Department of Transportation

If you sell your product by the pound, your scales must be annually tested and approved by DOT.

Federal Agencies

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
National Marine Fisheries Services (NMFS) - Restricted Access Management (RAM)