Welcome to the Alaska Board of Game
Board of Game News
- Notice of Proposed Changes in the Regulations of the Board of Game - Statewide Regulations Meeting, November 10-17, 2017 (PDF 73 kB)
- Notice of Public Meeting: Alaska Board of Game Teleconference, October 4, 2017 (PDF 110 kB)
- Nominations Open for Advisory Committee Excellence in Service Awards
- 2017-2018 Board of Game Proposal Book Available
- 2017 Advisory Committee Excellence in Service Award Winners
- Summary of Board of Game Changes for 2017-2018 - Updated 5/1/17 (PDF 77 kB)
- Alaska Board of Game 2017-2018 Meeting Schedule (PDF 97 kB)
2017/2018 Meeting Cycle Information
The Board of Game 2017/2018 cycle is scheduled as follows. Click on any meeting link for more info.
- Work Session: November 9, 2017, Anchorage
- Statewide Regulations: November 10-17, 2017, Anchorage
- Central/Southwest Region: February 16-23, 2018, Dillingham
View Proposals for the 2017/2018 Cycle
The Board of Game will be considering proposals for Statewide Regulations and the Central/Southwest Region in 2017/2018. Read the prosposal book here.
The Board of Game invites you to share your comments. Comments are due by the following dates in order to be included in the information available to the board and the public prior to the meetings:
- Teleconference (Agenda Change Requests & Other Topics): Friday, September 29, 2017
- Work Session: Friday, October 27, 2017
- Statewide Regulations Meeting: Friday, October 27, 2017
- Central/Southwest Region Meeting: Friday, February 2, 2018
Comments can also be submitted by:
- Mail: ADF&G Boards Support, PO Box 115526, Juneau, AK, 99811-5526
- Fax: 907-465-6094
- E-mail (please use the online option above unless submitting an attachment)
Email Notices — Please Sign Up
Join the e-mail list to receive notices for meetings, regulation changes, proposals, and other information from the Board of Game.
Three-Year Meeting Cycle
Proposed regulations for the five regions of Alaska are considered every three years, along with all statewide regulations.
|Board of Game 3-Year Meeting Cycle|
- Board of Game Long-Term Meeting Cycle (PDF 77 kB)
About the Board of Game
The Board of Game consists of seven members serving three-year terms. Members are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the legislature. Members are appointed on the basis of interest in public affairs, good judgment, knowledge, and ability in the field of action of the board, with a view to providing diversity of interest and points of view in the membership (see Alaska Statute 16.05.221).
The Board of Game's main role is to conserve and develop Alaska's wildlife resources. This includes establishing open and closed seasons, areas for taking game, setting bag limits, and regulating methods and means. The board is also involved with setting policy and direction for the management of the state's wildlife resources. The board is charged with making allocative decisions, and the Department of Fish and Game is responsible for management based on those decisions.
The board meeting cycle generally occurs from October through March. The board considers changes to regulations on a region-based schedule, wherein each region is discussed on a three-year cycle. Board of Game meetings vary in duration from 5 to 11 days and occur in communities around the state. The board may also meet due to a court action, legislation or an emergency situation. The board uses biological and socioeconomic information provided by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, public comment received from people inside and outside of the state, and guidance from the Alaska Department of Public Safety and Alaska Department of Law when creating regulations that are sound and enforceable.
The Board of Game's authority to adopt regulations as described in AS 16.05.255. Those regulations can be found under 5 AAC Chapters 84, 85, 92, and 99.
Contact the Boards Support main office at (907) 465-4110, or see detailed online contact information.