Commercial Fishing Reporting
Commercial Operator's Annual Reports (COAR) Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Commercial Operator’s Annual Report (COAR)?

The COAR is a report that collects harvest and production information broken out by specific criteria such as gear type, area, delivery and product type, and pounds and value.

Who has to file a Commercial Operators Annual Report (COAR)?

Any person or company who received a Fisheries Business License from the Department of Revenue and an Intent to Operate Permit by ADF&G. All Domestic Motherships or Catcher Processors with a current federal permit issued from NMFS. Also any person or company who receives an Exclusive Economic Zone only (EEZ Only) permit from ADF&G. Any first purchaser or processor of a fishery resource harvested in Alaska state waters or the surrounding Federal waters, as required by NMFS. A COAR must be filed if a license was issued, even if there was no activity under that license.

When is the COAR due?

The COAR is due by April 1 of the year following any buying or processing activity.

Why do I have to submit a COAR?

COAR information is used to calculate the exvessel values and first wholesale values. The information collected from the COAR is used worldwide by various types of requestors.

If I sell the same product for 2 different average prices per pound should I enter them as 2 separate lines on the COAR?

NO. Combine the 2 sale prices for the average price per pound for the entire defined product.

Should I separate out product sold in Alaska vs exported product?

No. Only separate by the codes specified on the form.

General Guidelines:

Combine all information that the COAR is asking for. Do not separate out information unless the COAR asks you to do so. Do not separate by date landed. If you are unsure how to complete the COAR please contact the Seafood industry Coordinator at or (907) 465-6131. We are always happy to help.