Transporter FAQs

  • Do I need to have a commercial fishing license to be a transporter?
  • Can I have a commercial fishing license and be a transporter?
  • Can I have a commercial fishing license and be a transporter simultaneously?
  • What do I need to be a transporter?
    A transporter permit from ADF&G and fish tickets. If operating from a vessel, the vessel must be registered through CFEC.
  • When do I need a transporter permit?
    If you are taking fish that was not harvested by you from a fisherman to a buyer.
  • What am I allowed to transport?
    Only salmon, herring and Pacific cod. If you intend to transport another species, you must obtain a Tender/Packer permit from CFEC.
  • What is the difference between a transporter and a tender?
    A transporter is an agent of the fisherman and a tender is an agent of the buyer.
  • When I receive fish tickets from Fish and Game am I legal to operate?
    No. You must register your operation at the nearest local ADF&G office and obtain instructions on reporting requirements in your area. Also there may be other agencies that require information or licenses/permits such as DEC or NOAA.
  • How do I order more fish tickets?
    Call the Seafood Industry Coordinator at 907-465-6131 or email
  • Can I use last year’s fish tickets?
  • How do I fill out a fish ticket?
    Transporters will partially complete fish tickets when the fish is taken from the fisherman and then will be completed by the buyer. Put as much information on the tickets as possible. CFEC card, permit holder’s signature, number of fish, stat area caught or any other information that needs to be on the ticket that is known at the time of transfer.