Best Practices for Stream Crossings with Vehicles & Equipment
- Ensure that stream conditions are appropriate for a safe crossing.
- Cross at existing trail or road crossings.
- Ensure your vehicle is well maintained, clean, and not leaking fuel, oil, or other fluids.
- Time your crossing to avoid sensitive fish life stages.
- Cross at a safe speed and minimize your time in the water by taking a direct path across the stream from bank to bank.
- Cross at locations with gradually sloping banks.
- Cross without placement of fill material.
- Avoid compaction or removal of the insulating snow cover from the deep-water pool areas of rivers and streams during winter.
Off Road Vehicle Crossings
Off Road Vehicle (ORV) use is often required to access hunting or fishing areas and other remote locations and can be a fun recreational activity. Whether you are using your ORV for work or play, using the best management practices below can help protect fish habitat in places where salmon streams and trails intersect. For more information on responsible ORV use near salmon streams, please see the brochure below. Copies can be obtained at your local Division of Habitat office.
Off Road Vehicle Crossings at Salmon Streams (PDF 999 kB)