Salmon Fisheries Enhancement & Hatcheries
Hatchery Permits are required for the construction and/or operation of a private nonprofit (PNP) salmon hatchery in Alaska. Hatchery permits specify the species and number of salmon than can be incubated at the hatchery, as well as the number released, release sites, broodstock sources, and other conditions of operation. Once they are issued, hatchery permits do not expire, but they may be revoked. Hatchery permits are non-transferable, so if a hatchery is sold or leased, the new operator must apply for a new permit. Hatchery permits may only be issued to private nonprofit corporations.
PNP Hatchery Permits require an extensive application process and considerable documentation and planning. Assistance in the application process will be provided by the PNP Hatchery Program Coordinator to the extent practicable.
The application process includes:
- an analysis of the possible effects the hatchery would have on fisheries management
- submission of an application providing detailed information on the proposed hatchery
- review of the application by department technical staff
- regional planning team review of the hatchery’s compatibility with the regional salmon plan
- a public hearing presenting the plans for the proposed hatchery
- commissioner approval or denial of the hatchery permit
PNP Hatchery Permits always carry conditions to protect fish health and wild salmon stocks, such as requiring department approval of broodstock sources and release sites, and inspection of salmon before release.
Statutes and Regulations
Alaska statutes on salmon hatcheries: AS16.10.375 – 16.10.480
Alaska regulations on hatchery permits: 5 AAC 40.005 – 40.990.
The hatchery permit application procedures are detailed in 5 AAC 40.110 – 40.240.
Current Hatchery Permit Applications
- NSRAA — Gunnuk Creek Hatchery
- 2018 Gunnuk Creek Hatchery DRAFT Basic Management Plan (PDF 701 kB)
- 2018 Gunnuk Creek Hatchery Public Hearing Notice (PDF 17 kB)
- Gunnuk Creek Hatchery Permit Application (PDF 2,268 kB)
- Gunnuk Creek Hatchery Management Feasibility Analysis (PDF 436 kB)
- Appendices A–D (PDF 5,054 kB)
- Appendices E–F (PDF 13,947 kB)
- Appendices G–J (PDF 9,309 kB)
- SSI — Baranof Salmon Facility
- 2018 SSI Baranof Hatchery Permit Decision Letter (PDF 172 kB)