Fish Passage Improvement Program
Resources: Bibliographies and Databases
- (2021) O'Doherty, G., and M. Eisenman. 2021. Fish passage assessment, inventory, and prioritization of culverts on the Ketchikan, Petersburg, and Wrangell road systems, 2013-2016. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series No. 21-01, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS21-01.pdf
- (2020) Eisenman, M., and G. O’Doherty. 2020. Fish passage assessment and prioritization of culverts in Gustavus, Haines, Juneau, Skagway, and Sitka, 2011–2012. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series No. 20-12, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS20-12.pdf
- (2018) Eisenman, M., and G. O’Doherty. 2018. Fish passage assessment and culvert inventory on the King Cove and Cold Bay road systems. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series No. 18-28, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS18-28.pdf
- (2018) Eisenman, M. 2018. Sampling unmapped streams for fish presence in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, 2016. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series No. 18-07, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS18-07.pdf
- (2014) O’Doherty, G. M. 2014. Fish passage assessments of culverted road crossings in King Salmon, Naknek, and Dillingham: 2012-2013. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series No. 14-45, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FDS14-45.pdf
- (2014) Eisenman, M., and G. O’Doherty. 2014. Culvert inventory and assessment manual for fish passage in the State of Alaska: A guide to the procedures and techniques used to inventory and assess stream crossings 2009-2014 (PDF 6,058 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Special Publication No. 14-08, Anchorage. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/SP14-08.pdf
- (2009) O'Doherty. ADF&G Fish Passage Program: Summary of Existing Inventory and Assessment Data and Gap Analysis, Gillian O'Doherty. September, 2009. 31 pp. https://library.alaska.gov/asp/edocs/2011/01/ocn701563385.pdf
Other Alaskan Fish Passage Papers & Reports
Most of the publications in this bibliography be located at the Alaska Fish Passage Studies and Resources section of the Alaska Resources Library and Information Services (ARLIS). This collection of fish passage papers was compiled by staff of Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, Research and Technical Services, to provide an easily accessible source of the classic fish passage literature, all of which are still relevant to modern projects. Assistance with providing some of these hard-to-find papers was provided by ARLIS (Alaska Resources Library and Information Services). All items are copyright free or permission was obtained for online posting, and links may be freely shared. Topics include hydrology, fish swimming performance, culverts, fish ladders, and other passage structures.
- (2015) Nudelman, Joel. (2015). Road Condition Survey for the Forest Road System in the Kenai Peninsula Borough. Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry, Juneau. AK.
- (2011) Aquatic Restoration and Research Institute (ARRI), 2011. The Influence of stream-crossing structures on the distribution of rearing juvenile Pacific salmon, Journal of the American Benthological Society, 2011, 30(4):1117-1128, October. 12 pp.
- (2010) Aquatic Restoration & Research Institute, 2010. The Influence of Stream Crossing Structures on the Distribution of Rearing Juvenile Pacific Salmon. Prepared with funding from US Fish and Wildlife, Award No. 701818J728. April. 20 pp.
- (2009) Bryant, Lukey, McDonell, Gubernick and Aho, 2009. Seasonal Movement of Dolly Varden and Cutthroat Trout with Respect to Stream Discharge in a Second-Order Stream in Southeast Alaska. Journal Article in North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29: 1728-1742. American Fisheries Society. DOI 10.1577/M09-022.1. 15 pp.
- (2008) Aquatic Restoration & Research Institute, 2008. Restoration Evaluation – Fish Passage. Prepared with funding from US Fish and Wildlife, Award No. 701816J630. March. 65 pp.
- (2007) Culvert, Fish Passage and Stream Restoration Design Criteria, 2007. Municipality of Anchorage Design Criteria Manual, Chapter 2, Drainage, Sections 2.7C, 2.7K, and 2.15. Department of Project Management and Engineering. 8 pp.
- (2006) Alaska Department of Transportation (AKDOT), 2006. Preliminary Study of Scour in Bottomless Culverts. FHWA-AK-RD-06-05. December. 126 pp.
- (2004) Morris and Winters, Jack, 2004. Evaluation of Stream Crossing Structures for Providing Fish Passage in a Tundra Stream; Fish Sampling of Fawn Creek, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Office of Habitat Management and Permitting. December. 31 pp.
- (2003b) USGS, 2003. Estimating Annual High-Flow Statistics and Monthly and Seasonal Low-Flow Statistics for Ungaged Sites on Streams in Alaska and Conterminous Basins in Canada. Prepared in cooperation with Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Water Investigations Report 03-4114. 69 pp.
- (2003a) USGS, 2003. Estimating the Magnitude and Frequency of Peak Streamflows for Ungaged Sites on Streams in Alaska and Conterminous Basins in Canada. Prepared in cooperation with Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Water Investigations Report 03-4188. 109 pp.
- (2002) Nichols, J., Frenette, B and M. Ingle. 2022. Klawock Watershed Road Condition Survey. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Habitat and Restoration, Douglas, AK.
- (2001) Memorandum of Agreement Between ADFG and ADOT for the Design, Permitting and Construction of Culverts for Fish Passage. 33 pp.
- (2000) Flanders, L.S. and J. Cariello. Tongass Road Condition Survey Report. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Technical Report No 00-07. Juneau, AK.
- (2000) Kane, Belke, Giek, and McLean, 2000. Juvenile Fish Passage Through Culverts in Alaska: A Field Study. Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Report Number INE/WERC 00.05. July. 72 pp.
- (1994) G.N. McDonald & Associates, 1994. Stream Crossing Design Procedure for Fish Streams on the North Slope Coastal Plain. Prepared for BP Exploration Inc. and Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. June. 60 pp.
- (1991b) Behlke, Kane, McLean and Travis, 1991. Economic Culvert Design Using Fish Swimming Energy and Power Capabilities. State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities in cooperation with US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. 6 pp.
- (1991a) Behlke, Kane, McLean and Travis, 1991. Fundamentals of Culvert Design for Passage of Weak Swimming Fish (FHWA-AK-RD-90-10). State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities in cooperation with US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. February. 178 pp.
- (1991) Behlke, 1991. Power and Energy Implications of Passage Structures for Fish. American Fisheries Society Symposium 10:289-298, 1991.
- (1989) Kane and Janowicz, 1989. Flood Frequency Estimation for Alaska. Alaska Division of Geologicsal and Geophysical Surveys. Report Of Investigations 88-17. 22 p.
- (1989) Behlke, Basketfield, Giek, Kane, McLean, and Travis, 1989. Hydrology, Hydraulics, and Fish Passage Performance of Arctic Grayling at Fish Creek, near Cantwell, Alaska. Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Report Number FHWA-AK-89-03.
- (1988) Behlke, Kane, McLean and Travis, 1988. Spawning Migration of Arctic Grayling Through Poplar Grove Creek Culvert. Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Report Number FHWA-AK-88-03.
- (1987) Behlke, 1987. Hydraulic Relationships Between Swimming Fish and Water Flowing in Culverts. In Smith and Tilsworth, editors. Proceedings of the 2nd Cold Regions Environmental Engineering Conference CSCE-ASCE. University of Alaska. Department of Civil Engineering. Pg. 112-132.
- (1987) Tilsworth and Travis, 1987. Fish Passage Through Poplar Grove Creek. Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities. Report Number FHWA-AK-87-15. 107 p.
- (1987) Carlson, 1987. Seasonal, Frequency and Durational Aspects of Streamflow in Southeast and Coastal Alaska (FHWA-AK-RD-87-22). State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Division of Planning and Programming Research Section. March. 48 pp.
- (1985b) Kane and Wellen, 1985. Fish Passage Design Criteria For Culverts. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Institute of Northern Engineering. Prepared Under Contract to the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities.
- (1985a) Kane and Wellen, 1985. A Hydraulic Evaluation of Fish Passage Through Roadway Culverts in Alaska. Final Report to the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, Division of Planning and Programming, Research Section. Fairbanks, AK. 53 p.
- (1985) Aldridge, 1985. Discharge Velocities in Culverts That Ensure Passage of Arctic Grayling. Prepared by Arctic Hydrologic Consultants for Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Habitat Division. 35 p.
- (1984) Ashton and Carlson, 1984. Determination of Seasonal Frequency and Durations Aspects of Streamflow with Regard to Fish Passage Through Roadway Drainage Structures (FHWA-AK-RD-85-06). State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities Division of Planning and Programming Research Section., 60 pp.
- (1981) Morsell, Houghton, Bell and Castello, 1981. Fish Protection Strategies For the Design and Construction of the Alaska Segment of the Natural Gas Transportation System. Report Prepared by Dames and Moore Consulting Engineers, Inc. for Northwest Alaskan Pipeline Company. 63 p.
- (1979) Lamke, 1979. Flood Characteristics of Alaskan Streams. USGS Water Resources Investigations 78-129. 61 p.
- (1977) Tack and Fisher, 1977. Performance of Arctic Grayling in a Twenty Foot Section of Model “A” Alaska Steep Pass Fish Ladder. Prepared Under Contract to the Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska Division. 20 p.
- (1976) MacPhee and Watts, 1976. Swimming Performance of Arctic Grayling in Highway Culverts. College of Forestry, Wildlife and Range Sciences, University of Idaho, Moscow. Bulletin Number 13. 41 p. (Note: Study conducted at Poplar Grove Creek, AK.
- (1966) Ziemer and Behlke, 1966. Analysis of Salmon Capabilities in Steep Fish Ladders. Proceedings of 2nd Annual American Water Resources Conference, 1966. Pp. 328-339.
Additional Fish Passage Resources
- The University of Massachusetts at Amherst maintains a portal to access citations of current and historic literature on fish passage engineering, biology, design, and relevant disciplines.
- The USFS Aquatic Organism Passage Program website has resources on assessing and replacing culverts.
- The FixhXing website has a reference library, case studies and many video presentations available to the public