Salmon Enhancement & Hatcheries

Salmon hatchery operators are required to have permits for the operation of a hatchery (Hatchery Permits) as well as its specific activities (Fish Transport Permits).

Hatchery Permits

Hatchery Permits are required for the construction and/or operation of a private non-profit salmon hatchery in Alaska. Issuance of a Hatchery Permit requires an extensive review of the proposed hatchery, including the suitability of the proposed site, the hatchery design, the effects on fisheries, and the potential effects on wild salmon stocks, as well as a public hearing. Hatchery Permits are not transferable and do not expire.
- Hatchery Permit Application Process and Additional Information

Permit Alteration Requests (PARs)

Permit Alteration Requests are used to request changes to a Hatchery Permit. A PAR must be used to change the hatchery’s permitted capacity, broodstock source, or approved release sites. Permit alterations are reviewed by regional planning teams and approved by the commissioner.
- Permit Alteration Request Application Process and Additional Information

Fish Transport Permits (FTPs)

Fish Transport Permits are required to transport, possess, export from the state, or release into the waters of the state, any live fish or eggs. Permits are subject to a department review that takes approximately 45 days. Reviewers may make recommendations as to whether the permit should be issued. Fish transport permits are valid for a fixed term identified in the permit.
- Fish Transport Permits Application Process and Additional Information

Reporting Forms

Hatchery operators are required to submit annual reports of egg takes, releases, and adult returns. Annual reports from each hatchery must be submitted by December 15th. The disposal of salmon carcasses used for broodstock must be documented in carcass disposal logs, which are due no later than the end of the calendar year.
- Reporting Forms Process and Additional Information