Anchorage Bear Committee
The Municipality of Anchorage is Alaska's largest city. Its human population numbers about 280,000 in 2008, about 40% of the state's population. Residents also include 250–350 American black bears and 55–65 brown (aka grizzly) bears.
The municipality encompasses 1,958 mi2, including a large state park (773 mi2), two military reservations (118 mi2), a portion of Chugach National Forest (430 mi2), other lands managed by federal agencies (378 mi2), and a large state wildlife refuge. The area occupied by humans is only about 204 mi2 (10.4%) of the total municipality; thus, the city is surrounded on all sides by bear habitat.
Anchorage's metropolitan area also includes several large city parks that are chiefly natural, wooded habitat and is bisected by greenbelts along streams, many of which have spawning salmon from May through November. The municipality's suburbs-Eagle River, Chugiak, Eklutna Village, Rainbow, Bird, Indian and Girdwood-are scattered homes and subdivisions along road corridors. Only Eagle River and Girdwood have small "downtown" areas.
Thus, both black bears and brown bears are found in proximity to developed areas, drawn primarily by natural foods. When some of the black bears learn to eat garbage, pet and livestock foods, and bird seed, or some of the brown bears routinely fish or chase moose calves near homes, trails, and sport fishing streams, the public interacts with them daily. Most Anchorage residents appreciate, or at least tolerate, bears in the city, but it's in the best interest of the public and bears to minimize the potential for maulings.
- Bear Aware Events — 2015 (PDF 471 kB)
- Anchorage Bear Committee Members List (PDF 25 kB)
- Local Attitudes on Bears and Moose (PDF 1,202 kB)
- Map of Frequent Human-Bear Interactions in Anchorage (PDF 245 kB)
The following are the summaries of the ABC meetings, starting in April of 2002-present:
- April 11, 2002 (PDF 41 kB)
- March 14, 2002 (PDF 26 kB)
- May 9, 2002 (PDF 101 kB)
- June 13, 2002 (PDF 25 kB)
- August 1, 2002 (PDF 38 kB)
- October 3, 2002 (PDF 40 kB)
- March 4, 2003 (PDF 34 kB)
- April 22, 2003 (PDF 25 kB)
- May 13, 2003 (PDF 38 kB)
- October 2, 2003 (PDF 32 kB)
- February 5, 2004 (PDF 34 kB)
- May 11, 2005 (PDF 25 kB)
- November 28, 2006 (PDF 42 kB)