Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Application Process and Timeline
Because Alaska is a very large and diverse state, the fish and wildlife resources that we manage are just as abundant and diverse. As a result, no two internship opportunities at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) are exactly alike. This is why we ask that interested students apply to each open internship separately, much like any other job application. This gives students an opportunity to carefully read each internship description to gain details about what sorts of work they will be doing, where they would be working, living situations, etc. Applying only for those internships that interest the student ensures the best possible experience the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has to offer!
To view internship opportunities currently accepting applications, please visit Workplace Alaska and select "For Students."
Timeline for Summer Internships*
- ADF&G posts all internship opportunities that are open for application on the Workplace Alaska website.
If you would like notifications about internship opportunities, you may sign up for Job Alerts on Workplace Alaska and you will receive email updates when internships open for applications.
Applications cannot be accepted when a position is not open for recruitment. The Application Period extends from the posting date of the internship for at least 10 days, typically through the end of February for summer internship opportunities (exact dates will be posted on each recruitment).
Each internship is recruited separately and you must apply for each one that you are interested. You must read the recruitment carefully and ensure that you submit all necessary information for your application to be considered.
For more helpful information on how to make your application packet the best it can be, see our Perfect Packet Hints page.Direct all questions regarding specifics of the internship to the hiring supervisor, listed in the internship description.
- Hiring supervisors conduct interviews and select candidates for hire. Students will be notified of successful hiring by mid-March. Students who were not selected will be notified by the end of March/early April.
- Most summer internships begin in late May or early June. Refer to the internship description for specific start and end dates.
- Summer internships are completed by late August or early September, along with final evaluations.
* There are a limited number of internships with ADF&G that occur during the school year. These internships consist of a maximum of 20 hours a week and still require full-time enrollment in school. As such, these positions are more suited for students attending an Alaska university where they can still attend classes while interning.