Fort Knox Fish Studies
The Fort Knox Fisheries project was initiated prior to construction of the Fort Knox Mine complex located 35 miles North of Fairbanks. Studies determined what species of fish were present in several small and historically mined creeks and ponds in the area of a proposed fresh water reservoir.
Since construction of the reservoir, populations of Arctic grayling and burbot captured in the reservoir have been monitored annually. Results of annual research have led to the creation of viable Arctic grayling spawning habitat and high value wetlands in the previously mined areas.
Population monitoring is ongoing and eventually will support fish, game, and land management decisions once the fresh water reservoir area is turned over to the state at mine closure and is operated as a recreational area.
Fish population and water quality research conducted in the man-made complex continue to provide valuable data for habitat management at Fort Knox and also have applicability to other mining projects across the state.
- 05-01 (PDF 2,205 kB) Arctic grayling and burbot studies at Fort Knox Mine, 2004
- 03-09 (PDF 1,965 kB) Arctic grayling and burbot studies at Fort Knox Mine, 2003
- 02-06 (PDF 3,915 kB) Arctic grayling and burbot studies at Fort Knox Mine water supply reservoir, Stilling Basin and developed wetlands, 2002
- 02-01 (PDF 1,975 kB) Arctic grayling and burbot studies at Fort Knox Mine water supply reservoir and developed wetlands, 2001
- 01-02 (PDF 2,125 kB) Arctic grayling and burbot studies @ Fort Knox Mine water supply reservoir and developed wetlands, 2000
- 00-01 (PDF 2,042 kB) Fish use of Fort Knox water supply reservoir and developed wetlands
- 99-02 (PDF 1,331 kB) Fish use of the Fort Knox water supply reservoir, 1995-1998
- 98-01 (PDF 2,302 kB) Fisheries use and water quality in the Fort Knox water supply reservoir
- 97-02 (PDF 3,775 kB) Fisheries use of the Fort Knox water supply reservoir, 1996
- 96-05 (PDF 9,386 kB) Baseline fish and aquatic habitat data for Fort Knox Mine, 1992-1995
- 94-05 (PDF 3,244 kB) Aquatic habitat of Fish Creek before development or Fort Knox Gold Mine, 1992-1993
For additional listsins, see our Technical Report Series.