Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Gene Conservation Laboratory
Statistics Program for Analyzing Mixtures (SPAM) Software
The mission of the Gene Conservation Laboratory is to apply genetic principles and tools to support the management of commercially important fish and shellfish species in Alaska based on the sustained yield principle.
- Port Moller Test Fishery (updated 7/5/2014)
- Yukon River Chinook Salmon Genetic Baseline Project (updated 7/1/2014)
- Scientists Up their Ability to Track Salmon through DNA 'Fin-Printing (PDF 129 kB)
- Cook Inlet Chinook Salmon Projects
- Cook Inlet Coho Genetic Baseline Project
- Chatham Strait, Icy Strait, and Lynn Canal Sockeye Project
- Alaska Peninsula Chinook Project
- Hatchery Research Project
- Western Alaska Salmon Stock Identification Program
SPAM Download Page
Please register so that we can keep you informed of SPAM updates. Register by sending us an e-mail containing your name, affiliation, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone and/or fax number.
Current Release Version
SPAM 3.7b - January 5, 2005
Version 3.7b eliminates a bug found in version 3.7 but no changes in the documentation were made.
SPAM 3.7b offers an enhancement in estimation of baseline allele frequencies for loci with many low-frequency alleles. It allows for Bayesian modeling of baseline allele frequency distributions within the maximum likelihood scheme. SPAM 3.7b offers two Bayesian models of baseline allele frequency distributions: 1) Rannala-Mountain and 2) Pella-Masuda. The SPAM 3.7 Addendum introduces the new features and illustrates their implementation.
Single zip file with executable, 3.2 User's Guide, Addendum 3.5 and Addendum 3.7 to the User's Guide.
Special thanks goes to Michele Masuda from the Auke Bay Laboratory, who created and added the new capabilities to SPAM.
SPAM 3.7b Documentation
No changes in the documentation were made for SPAM version 3.7b. New users will need all of the following:
SPAM 3.7 Addendum (PDF 291 kB).
NOTE: SPAM input files can be created from GENEPOP files using the 'SPAM option' in Whichrun 3.2.
NOTE: Trial versions of WinZip's compression software can be downloaded here.
A brief history of SPAM, bug corrections, enhancements, etc.