Recreational Boating Access Projects
Boating projects construct, renovate, improve, and/or maintain access for marine or freshwater trailerable (less than 26 feet in length) gasoline-powered boats. Since a large portion of boating access funds comes from federal taxes on fuel and recreational power boats, project proposals that primarily benefit non-motorized boats (canoes, kayaks, and rafts) or diesel-powered boats do not qualify as recreational boating related projects.
Projects which may be eligible under this category include, but are not limited to:
- Launching facilities, such as ramps and boat lifts.
- Marina improvements, including docking facilities for transient motorboat users (stopping briefly, not to exceed 10 days).
- Land acquisition and development of fishing lakes and ponds (providing motorboats are allowed).
- Fish cleaning stations.
- Restrooms, sewage treatment facilities, showers, potable water, security lights, trash receptacles, and parking areas associated with the access facilities.
- Pump-out and dump stations.
- Camping facilities at areas accessible only by boat (must be accessible to motorboats).
- Access roads, bridges, signals, and other requirements to provide the public access to boating facilities.
- Engineering costs (planning and construction) as well as the costs of environmental assessments and permit applications.
- Water rights for the purpose of securing boating access.
- Dredging, stump removal, and aquatic weed control when activity can be shown to clear lanes to make water body more accessible primarily for recreational motorboats (as opposed to general navigation).
- Navigational aids in the immediate area of access facilities.
- Operation and maintenance of access facilities.
- Signage for effective use of access facilities and recognition of Sport Fish Restoration Program.
- Publication of guides, brochures, maps, road signs, Internet sites, and other aids to inform boaters of access sites.
- Projects that compensate/mitigate for natural resource losses caused by an eligible activity.