Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Fairbanks Range Home
- Hunter Education Class Schedules
- Other Shooting Ranges
Fairbanks Hunter Education Indoor Shooting Range
Walk-In Public Shooting Hours
2013 – 2014 Regular / Winter Season
(SAT SEP 21 through FRI MAY 16)
|Day of the Week||Open Walk-In Public Shooting Hours|
|Wednesday||5:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.|
|Thursday||12:00 P.M. (noon) to 2:00 P.M. and 5:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.|
|Friday||5:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.|
|Saturday||1:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. *|
|Sunday||1:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.|
* Hours on the fourth Saturday of the month are from 1 to 4 and from 6 to 9 P.M., since the live-fire range is reserved for Hunter Education class use from 4 to 6 p.m.
Published hours do not include emergency closures and are subject to change from what is indicated. All attempts will be made to announce closures on the information line at (907) 452-6862 and on the web.
Please note the range is used for hunter education shoots, school rifle team practice and matches, competitive shooting events, league shooting and firearm training and qualification outside of walk-in public shooting hours. Walk-in public shooting hours are established to the extent possible and open times are based on public survey information gathered periodically and other uses of the facility.
Closures, Schedule Changes, and Special Events
What Firearms Can You Shoot?
- .22-caliber (rim-fire) Rifles
- Air Rifles and Pistols
(Up to .45-caliber includes .44 magnum)
- No Shotguns
- No Muzzleloaders
- No Armor-Piercing Ammunition
- No Steel-Core/Component Ammunition
- No Tracer Ammunition
- No Holster-draw Shooting
- No .17-caliber firearms/ammunition
All firearms must be unloaded and cased before entering the facility.*
*Does not apply to on-duty law enforcement.
How Much Does it Cost?
Revenues from our public shooting help off-set the cost of maintaining the facility for use by the public. We maintain a safe, clean, warm, and friendly environment for the public.
- Lane Rental
($12.00/hour, 1-hour minimum. You may share a lane with another person.)
- 7-Hour Pre-paid Special
(Buy 6 lane hours in advance for $72.00, get an additional hour free!)
(A variety of targets are available for sale from .25-cents to $3.00 each, depending on the target.)
- Eye and Ear Protection
($2.50 each to rent and are also available for sale.)
If you want to shoot...
Come visit us during public shooting hours if you wish to shoot! We offer regular public shooting hours for the community. Since we wish all shooters using the live-fire range to be safe and have fun, we go through a brief range orientation and safety briefing with each shooter. Here are the steps you will need to complete:
- Check in at the front counter.
- Complete the new shooter registration form
- Have a photo taken for a Range (HEDR) ID card. (Once you receive a HEDR ID card you will not need to go through the orientation process again!)
- View the Range Orientation and Safety Briefing Video (about 20 minutes).
- Read, understand, and sign a Rules Acknowledgement Form.
- Review the orientation and ask questions (if you have any) with a range staff member.
- Pay for lane rental, ID card, and for any eye or ear protection, targets, or shooting supplies.
- Put on eye and ear protection before entering the live-fire range!
- Have fun and be safe!