Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Fairbanks Range Home
- Hunter Education Class Schedules
- Other Shooting Ranges
Fairbanks Hunter Education Indoor Shooting Range
Open Walk-In Public Shooting Hours at the Range
2014 SUMMER SEASON (JUNE and JULY ONLY)
SEASONAL CLOSURE NOTICE: The range will be closed for Walk-in Public Shooting Hours all August and for part of September. Walk-in Public Shooting Hours will resume for the 2014-2015 Regular/Winter Season on Saturday, September 20, 2014. Below is the schedule for June and July.
|Day of the Week||Events|
Special Events for "Monday Nights at the Range!"
(No Walk-in Public Shooting Hours on Monday nights)
ADVANCED SIGN UP REQUIRED FOR THESE EVENTS.
Click the links or visit www.aimcomm.org for more info/to sign up!
Jun 02 — Hunter Education Class
Jun 09 — Harry Reeves Memorial Revolver Shoot
Jun 16 — Ladies NRA Home Firearm Safety Course
Jun 23 — NRA First Steps Class — PISTOL .22
Jun 30 — NRA First Steps Class — RIFLE .22
Jul 07 — Hunter Education Class
Jul 14 — NRA First Steps Class — PISTOL .22
Jul 21 — NRA First Steps Class — RIFLE .22
Jul 28 — NRA First Steps Class — RIFLE .22 — NEW! (added 7/9)
|Day of the Week||Open Walk-In Public Shooting Hours|
|Tuesdays||5:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. *|
|Wednesdays||5:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.|
|Thursdays||12:00 P.M. (noon) to 2:00 P.M. AND 5:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.|
|Fridays||5:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.|
* Hours are from 5 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, June 3
Published hours do not include emergency closures and are subject to change from what is indicated. All attempts will be made to announce closures on the information line at (907) 452-6862 and on the web.
Please note the range is used for hunter education shoots, school rifle team practice and matches, competitive shooting events, league shooting and firearm training and qualification outside of walk-in public shooting hours. Walk-in public shooting hours are established to the extent possible and open times are based on public survey information gathered periodically and other uses of the facility.
Closures, Schedule Changes, and Special Events
- CLOSED for Walk-in Public Shooting Hours ALL OF AUGUST for annual maintenance and cleaning.
- SPECIAL EVENT — August 12-13, Alaska International Senior Games — Indoor Shooting Events for .22-caliber Rifle and Pistol.
- CLOSED for Walk-in Public Shooting Hours during the first few weeks of September, from September 1 through Friday, September 19, for annual maintenance and cleaning.
- Walk-in hours resume on SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, for the 2014-2015 Regular/Winter Season at the range.
More Information About Walk-In Public Shooting Hours
Successful completion of the Range Orientation and Safety Briefing is required in order to use the live-fire range during walk-in public shooting hours. Orientations are given anytime during walk-in public shooting hours (as long as there is at least a half-hour left before closing) and Range ID cards (small fee applies) are issued to individuals who complete the orientation. Eye and ear protection is required and is available for sale or rent at the counter along with targets. You may share a lane with one other person. Firearms must be unloaded and cased when entering the facility (does not apply to on-duty law enforcement).
What Firearms Can You Shoot?
- .22-caliber (rim-fire) Rifles
- Air Rifles and Pistols
(Up to .45-caliber includes .44 magnum)
- No Shotguns
- No Muzzleloaders
- No Armor-Piercing Ammunition
- No Steel-Core/Component Ammunition
- No Tracer Ammunition
- No Holster-draw Shooting
- No .17-caliber firearms/ammunition
All firearms must be unloaded and cased before entering the facility.*
*Does not apply to on-duty law enforcement.
How Much Does it Cost?
Revenues from our public shooting help off-set the cost of maintaining the facility for use by the public. We maintain a safe, clean, warm, and friendly environment for the public.
- Lane Rental
($12.00/hour, 1-hour minimum. You may share a lane with another person.)
- 7-Hour Pre-paid Special
(Buy 6 lane hours in advance for $72.00, get an additional hour free!)
(A variety of targets are available for sale from .25-cents to $3.00 each, depending on the target.)
- Eye and Ear Protection
($2.50 each to rent and are also available for sale.)
If you want to shoot...
Come visit us during public shooting hours if you wish to shoot! We offer regular public shooting hours for the community. Since we wish all shooters using the live-fire range to be safe and have fun, we go through a brief range orientation and safety briefing with each shooter. Here are the steps you will need to complete:
- Check in at the front counter.
- Complete the new shooter registration form
- Have a photo taken for a Range (HEDR) ID card. (Once you receive a HEDR ID card you will not need to go through the orientation process again!)
- View the Range Orientation and Safety Briefing Video (about 20 minutes).
- Read, understand, and sign a Rules Acknowledgement Form.
- Review the orientation and ask questions (if you have any) with a range staff member.
- Pay for lane rental, ID card, and for any eye or ear protection, targets, or shooting supplies.
- Put on eye and ear protection before entering the live-fire range!
- Have fun and be safe!