State of Alaska
Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Alaska Senior Residents

Alaska residents who are 60 years of age or older and meet the Department of Fish and Game’s residency definition are eligible for a senior identification card (PID) in order to hunt, sport fish, or trap for free. Applicants must be physically present in the State of Alaska to apply. Applicants who complete the form and meet age and residency requirements will receive a PID card within 1-4 weeks.

If at any time a PID card holder is no longer a resident of the State of Alaska, their PID card is immediately void.

The following situations disqualify applicants from receiving the PID; there may be others:

  • Having a resident hunting/fishing license in another state.
  • Being registered to vote in another state.
  • Receiving a tax break on property tax in another state (homestead exemption).
  • Receiving benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country.

The number printed on your PID should be used in lieu of a sport fishing, hunting and trapping license number in all instances where a license number is required (e.g. draw applications, resident big game tags, harvest tickets, etc.). Also, you are not required to purchase a king salmon stamp to fish for king salmon or an Alaska state conservation stamp to hunt waterfowl. Holders of Permanent Identification Cards must still obtain any needed permits and harvest cards to participate in any personal use fisheries and hunts that require a permit. Alaska senior residents holding ADF&G Identification Cards and planning to sportfish must obtain a free Sport Fishing Harvest Record Card (PDF 90 kB), available online, at license vendors, and at Fish and Game offices, in order to record their harvest of those fish.

Senior Alaska Resident Identification Card (PID) Application

Application for Sport Fishing, Hunting and Trapping License for Alaska Senior Residents (PDF 116 kB)

Instructions:Fill out the PID form completely and send to: Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Licensing Section, P.O. Box 115525, Juneau, Alaska 99811-5525, or email to or fax to (907) 465-2440.

PID applicants can apply up to two months in advance of their 60th birthday. Their residency will be verified in advance and the qualifying applicant’s PID card will be mailed the week of their 60th birthday.