Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Sport Fishing Guides & Charter Requirements
Both sport fish guiding businesses and individual sport fishing guides must register separately unless the owner of the business is also the guide.
In order to provide guided sport fishing trips to anglers for compensation in the State of Alaska, you must have the following:
- A Sport Fishing Business Owner Operator’s Registration issued by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G).
- A current State of Alaska Occupational Business License issued by the Dept. of Commerce and Economic Development.
- A Sport Fishing Guide Registration issued by ADF&G.
- Current Alaska Sport Fish License, tags (e.g., king salmon stamp), and permits that are required to engage in the sport fishery for which the sport fishing guide services are being provided.
- A current USCG Operator’s license if operating a motorized vessel on navigable waters. Determination of navigable waters is made by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Vessel Registration (if guiding from a vessel).
Sport Fishing Guide Services and Guides are defined by 5 AAC 75.995(a)(41)(42).
More specific information can be found on the tabs above.
Assistants, deckhands, and similar persons who work directly under the supervision of and on the same vessel as a State of Alaska registered fishing guide are exempt from the guide registration requirements.
The Department of Fish and Game provides information about the requirements of other agencies as a courtesy. Every attempt has been made to make this as complete as possible. However, because changes in other agency information are beyond our control, we cannot accept responsibility for ensuring that this list of other agency requirements is complete. You are responsible for meeting all necessary requirements for the area in which you will be operating.