Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Marine Mammals Program Publications
If you would like to receive a reprint of any scientific publication based on research conducted by the ADF&G Marine Mammal staff please contact us.
Our publications can be viewed from all years, or those in press, or you may choose a specific year from the following (most web browsers support the ability to search a list of publications by pressing Ctrl-F):
- Cooper, M. H., S. M. Budge, A. M. Springer, and G. Sheffield. 2009. Resource partitioning by sympatric pagophilic seals in Alaska: Monitoring effects of climate variation with fatty acids. Polar Biology 32(8):1137–1145.
- Hastings, K. K., T. S. Gelatt, and J. C. King. 2009. Postbranding Survival of Steller sea lion pups at Lowrie Island in Southeast Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management 73(7):1040-1051. DOI: 10.2193/2007-208.
- Herreman, J. K., G. M. Blundell, D. B. McDonald, and M. Ben-David. 2009. Asymmetrical male-mediated gene flow between harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) populations in Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 87:498-507.
- Herreman, J. K., G. M. Blundell, and M. Ben-David. 2009. Evidence of bottom-up control of diet driven by top-down processes in a declining harbor seal Phoca vitulina richardsi population. Marine Ecology Progress Series 374: 287-300.
- Neale, J. C. C., K. R. Schmelzer, J. T. Harvey, E. A. Berg, R. J. Small, E. K. Grigg, S. G. Allen, and R. S. Tjeerdema. 2009. PCB and DDE contamination in harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) from north-central California and Bristol Bay, Alaska. Aquatic Mammals 35:1-11.
- Noren, D. P., L. D. Rea, and T. Loughlin. 2009. A model to predict fasting capabilities and utilization of body energy stores in weaned Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) during periods of reduced prey availability. Canadian Journal of Zoology 87:852–864.
- Quakenbush, L. T. K. B. Beckmen, and C. D. N. Brower. 2009. Rehabilitation and release of marine mammals in the United States: Concerns from Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 25(4):994–999. DOI: 10.1111/j.1748–7692.2009.00283.x.
- Quakenbush, L. T., R. Shideler, and G. York. 2009. Radio frequency identification tags for grizzly and polar bear research. Coastal Marine Institute, Final Report, OCS Study MMS 2009–004, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Quakenbush, L. T., and J. J. Citta. 2009. Trace element concentrations in bearded seals (Erignathus barbatus) near Red Dog Mine compared to other locations in Alaska. Journal of Marine Biology. DOI: 10.1155/2009/275040.
- Raum-Suryan, K. L., L. A. Jemison, and K. W. Pitcher. 2009. Entanglement of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in marine debris: Identifying causes and finding solutions. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 58:1487–1495.
- Rea, L. D., M. Berman, D. A. S. Rosen, and A. W. Trites. 2009. Seasonal differences in biochemical adaptation to fasting in juvenile and subadult Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 82(3):236–247.
- Rehberg, M. J., R. D. Andrews, D. G. Calkins, and U. G. Swain. 2009. Foraging behavior of adult female Steller sea lions during the breeding season in Southeast Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 25(3):588–604. DOI:10.1111/j.748–7692.2008.00278.x.
- Sheffield, G., and J. M. Grebmeier. 2009. Pacific walrus (Odobenus rosmarus divergens): Differential prey digestion and diet. Marine Mammal Science 25(4):761–777.
- Sigler, M. F., D. J. Tollit, J. J. Vollenweider, J. F. Thedinga, D. J. Csepp, J. N. Womble, M. A. Wong, M. J. Rehberg, and A. W. Trites. 2009. Steller sea lion foraging response to seasonal changes in prey availability. Marine Ecology Progress Series 388:243–261.
- Stafford, K. M., J. J. Citta, S. E. Moore, M. A. Daher, and J. E. George. 2009. Environmental correlates of blue and fin whale call detections in the North Pacific Ocean from 1997 to 2002. Marine Ecology Progress Series 395:37–53.