Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Marine Mammals Program Publications
If you would like to receive a reprint of any scientific publication based on research conducted by the ADF&G Marine Mammal staff please contact us.
Our publications can be viewed from all years, or those in press, or you may choose a specific year from the following (most web browsers support the ability to search a list of publications by pressing Ctrl-F):
- Blundell, G. M., and G. W. Pendleton. 2008. Estimating age of harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) with incisor teeth and morphometrics. Marine Mammal Science 24(3):577–590.
- Budge, S. M., A. M. Springer, S. J. Iverson, G. Sheffield, and C. Rosa. 2008. Blubber fatty acid composition of bowhead whales, Balaena mysticetus: Implications for diet assessment and ecosystem monitoring. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 359:40–46.
- Hastings, K. K., L. A. Hiby, and R. J. Small. 2008. Evaluation of a computer-assisted photograph-matching system to monitor naturally marked harbor seals at Tugidak Island, Alaska. Journal of Mammalogy 89(5):1201–1211.
- Herreman, J. K., G. M. Blundell, M. Ben-David. 2008. False sex-linked microsatellite primer for Phoca vitulina. Marine Mammal Science 24(2):411-413.
- Holmes, A., S. S. Wise, C. E. C. Goertz, J. L. Dunn, F. M. D. Gulland, T. S. Gelatt, K. B. Beckmen, K. A. Burek, S. Atkinson, M. Bozza, R. Taylor, T. Zheng, Y. Zhang, A. M. Aboueissa, and J. P. Wise Sr. 2008. Metal tissue levels in Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) pups. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56:1416–1421.
- Kaplan, C. C., G. C. White, and B. R. Noon. 2008. Neonatal survival of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Marine Mammal Science 24(3):443–461.
- McClenahan, S. D., K. A. Burek, K. B. Beckmen, N. J. Knowles, J. D. Neill, and C. H. Romero. 2008. Genomic characterization of novel marine vesiviruses from Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) from Alaska. Virus Research 138 (1–2):26–35.
- Quakenbush, L. T., and J. J. Citta. 2008. Perfluorinated contaminants in ringed, bearded, spotted, and ribbon seals from the Alaskan Bering and Chukchi seas. Baseline/Marine Pollution Bulletin 56:1802–1814.
- Rehberg, M. J., and J. M. Burns. 2008. Differences in diving and swimming behavior of pup and juvenile Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 86: 539–553.
- Small, R. J., P. L. Boveng, G. V. Byrd, and D. E. Withrow. 2008. Harbor seal population decline in the Aleutian Archipelago. Marine Mammal Science 24(4):845-863.
- Stegall, V. K., S. D. Farley, L. D. Rea, K. W. Pitcher, R. O. Rye, C. L. Kester, C. A. Stricker, and C. R. Bern. 2008. Discrimination of carbon and nitrogen isotopes from milk to serum and vibrissae in Alaska Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 86:17–23.
- Trites, A. W., and D. G. Calkins. 2008. Diets of mature male and female Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) differ and cannot be used as proxies for each other. Aquatic Mammals 34(1)25–34.