Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Marine Mammals Program Publications
If you would like to receive a reprint of any scientific publication based on research conducted by the ADF&G Marine Mammal staff please contact us.
Our publications can be viewed from all years, or those in press, or you may choose a specific year from the following (most web browsers support the ability to search a list of publications by pressing Ctrl-F):
- Blundell, G. M., S. M. Gende, J .N Womble. 2006. Preliminary analysis of movements of harbor seals in Glacier Bay National Park. In: Piatt, J. F. and Gende, S. M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 4th Glacier Bay Science Symposium, U.S. Geological Survey, Scientific Investigation Report.
- Bowen, L., B. Aldridge, K. B. Beckmen, T. S. Gelatt, L. D. Rea, K. A. Burek, K. W. Pitcher, and J. L. Stott. 2006. Differential expression of immune response genes in Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): an indicator of ecosystem health? EcoHealth 3(2):109–113.
- Bracht, A. J., R. L. Brudek, R. Y. Ewing, C. A. Manire, K. A. Burek, C. Rosa, K. B. Beckmen, J. E. Maruniak, and C. H. Romero. 2006. Genetic identification of novel poxviruses of cetaceans and pinnipeds. Archives of Virology 151(3):423–438.
- Cooper, L. W., L. A. Codispoti, V. Kelly, G. G. Sheffield, and J. M. Grebmeier. 2006. The potential for using Little Diomede Island as a platform for observing environmental conditions in Bering Strait. Arctic 59(2):129–141.
- DeMaster, D. P., A. W. Trites, P. Clapham, S. Mizroch, P. Wade, R. J. Small, and J. Ver Hoef. 2006. The sequential megafaunal collapse hypothesis: testing with existing data. Progress in Oceanography 68:329–342.
- Dehn, L. A., E. H. Follmann, D. L. Thomas, G. G. Sheffield, C. Rosa, L. K. Duffy, and T. M. O'Hara. 2006. Trophic relationships in an Arctic food web and implications for trace metal transfer. Science of the Total Environment 326:103–123.
- Frid, A., L. M. Dill, R. E. Thorne, and G. M. Blundell. 2006. Inferring prey perception of relative danger in large-scale marine systems. Evolutionary Ecology Research 9:635–649.
- Frost, K. J., M. A. Simpkins, R. J. Small, and L. F. Lowry. 2006. Development of diving by harbor seal pups in two regions of Alaska: use of the water column. Marine Mammal Science 22(3):617–643.
- Garlich-Miller, J. L., L. T. Quakenbush, and J. F. Bromaghin. 2006. Trends in age structure and productivity of Pacific Walruses harvested in Bering Strait region of Alaska, 1952-2002. Marine Mammal Science 22:880–896.
- Jay, C. V., M. P. Heide-Jorgensen, A. S. Fischbach, M. V. Jensen, D. E. Tessler, and A. V. Jensen. 2006. Comparison of remotely deployed satellite radio transmitters on walruses. Marine Mammal Science 22(1):226–236.
- Jemison, L. A., G. W. Pendleton, C. A. Wilson, and R. J. Small. 2006. Long-term trends in harbor seal numbers at Tugidak Island and Nanvak Bay, Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 22(2):339–360.
- King, M., L. D. Rea, and J. M. Kennish. 2006. Chlorinated fatty acids in lipid class fractions from cardiac and skeletal muscle of Chinook salmon. Lipids. 41(12):1–8.
- Mathews, E. A., and G. W. Pendleton. 2006. Declines in harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) numbers in Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska, 1992-2002. Marine Mammal Science 22(1):167–189.
- Mellish, J. M., D. Calkins, D. Christen, M. Horning, L. D. Rea, and S. Atkinson. 2006. Temporary captivity as a research tool: comprehensive study of wild pinnipeds under controlled conditions. Aquatic Mammals 32(1):58–65.
- Myers, M. J., L. D. Rea, and S. Atkinson. 2006. The effects of age, season and geographic region on thyroid hormones in Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part A. 145:90–98.
- O'Corry-Crowe, G. M., B. L. Taylor, T. S. Gelatt, T. R. Loughlin, J. Bickham, M. Basterretche, K. W. Pitcher, and D. P. DeMaster. 2006. Demographic independence along ecosystem boundaries in Steller sea lions revealed by mtDNA analysis: implications for management of an endangered species. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 84:1796–1809.
- Pendelton, G. W., K. W. Pitcher, L. W. Fritz, A. E. York, K. L. Raum-Suryan, T. R. Loughling, D. G. Calkins, K. K. Hastings, and T. S. Gelatt. 2006. Survival of Steller sea lions in Alaska: a comparison of increasing and decreasing populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 84:1163–1172.
- Richmond, J. P., J. M. Burns, and L. D. Rea. 2006. Ontogeny of total body oxygen stores and aerobic dive potential in Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Journal of Comparative Physiology B 176:535–545.
- Small, R. J., and DeMaster, D. P. 2006. Uncertain management or management of uncertainty: Steller sea lion - a case study. Pages 521 - 534 In Sea Lions of the World. A. W. Trites, S .K. Atkinson, D. P. DeMaster, L. W. Fritz, T. S. Gelatt, L. D. Rea, and K. M. Wynne (eds.) Alaska Sea Grant College Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks. 664 p.
- Vos, D. J., L. T. Quakenbush, and B. A. Mahoney. 2006. Documentation of sea otters and birds as prey for killer whales. Marine Mammal Science 22:201–205.
- Zarnke, R. L., J. T. Saliki, A. P. Macmillan, S. D. Brew, C. E. Dawson, J. M. Ver Hoef, K. J. Frost, and R. J. Small. 2006. Serological survey for Brucella spp., phocid herpesvirus-1, phocid herpesvirus-2, and phocine distemper virus in harbor seals from Alaska, 1976-1999. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 42(2):290–300.