Areas With Restrictions
Search By Game Management Unit (GMU)
Note: Use of these maps indicates that you have read and understand the liability statement.
Select a Game Management Unit.
Game Management Unit
Results for Game Management Unit 16
The following restrictions are those specific to GMU 16. Be sure to check the hunting regulations for additional state-wide hunting and trapping restrictions.
Unit 16B Youth Hunt Management Area
- Restriction: In addition to other legal seasons, the area is open to moose hunting by a drawing permit issued to a child; the department may issue a permit to a child, as follows:
(i) a permit may be issued to a resident child aged 10 to 17 who will be accompanied in the field by a resident adult 21 years of age or older, with the child being the permittee;
(ii) permittees must have successfully completed a certified basic hunter education course;
(iii) a moose harvested under a permit issued under this section will count against the bag limits of both the child and accompanying adult;
(iv) only the child may shoot a moose, except that the accompanying adult may shoot the animal only to prevent the animal from escaping after having been wounded by the child;
(v) in addition to the permit specified in this section, the child and accompanying adult must have the licenses, harvest tickets, and tags required under this title and AS 16 in possession while in the field.
- View Map: GIF Map (137 K) PDF Map (993 K)
- Area Description: Unit 16B Youth Hunt Management Area: the area consists of the mainland portion of Unit 16(B)
Susitna Flats State Game Refuge
- Restriction: Has restrictions regarding use of motorized vehicles and aircraft (for details, see refuge General Permit requirements at http:// refuges.adfg.alaska.gov or call (907) 861-3200, (907) 861-2112): a) Refuge Lands: the use off-road vehicles are prohibited except that those weighing less than 1,000 lbs. GVW (including ATVs and snow machines) may be used on refuge lands Nov 9 – Mar 31 provided there is at least a 12-inch snow cover and sufficient ground frost to prevent penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots. If operating on frozen waterways the ice cover must be of sufficient thickness to support the weight-bearing load of the off-road vehicle. If operating on the Enstar Gas Pipeline right-of-way, or the marked trails to Figure Eight Lake or Flat Horn Lake, the 12-inch snow cover requirement is waived but there must be sufficient ground frost to prevent penetration of or disturbance to the soil surface or plant roots. b) Aircraft: Landing is prohibited Apr 1 – May 15 in the High Density Spring Waterfowl Staging Area (defined roughly as the coastal marsh seaward of the forested bluff edge).
- View Map: GIF Map (143 K) PDF Map (561 K)
- Area Description: Units 14 and 16 - The Susitna Flats State Game Refuge, as described in AS 16.20.036