Website Feedback Button
Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Stranded, Dead or Orphaned Wildlife

Most bird species are protected by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which governs how to handle sick, injured or orphaned birds. If you find a sick, injured or orphaned migratory bird, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife (USFWS) Center Migratory Bird Permit Office in Anchorage (907-786-3693) for a list of approved bird rehabilitation centers. These centers are approved by the USFWS to rehabilitate injured birds for release to the wild. While you are locating an approved rehabilitator, keep the bird in a box in a warm, dark and quiet spot. Do not disturb it or offer it food.

It is never a good idea – and can be illegal – to disturb migratory birds or their nests. Birds flushed from their nests by humans or other predators do sometimes abandon their eggs or young. If that happens, do not further disturb the nest by trying to care for the eggs or young birds.

The best rule of thumb if you find any baby animal, including a bird, is just to leave it alone. The parents may be nearby, waiting for you to leave the area. Touching animals can also result in diseases passing from wildlife to humans, or vice versa. If you do inadvertently happen to touch a bird’s egg or nest, rest assured that your scent alone won’t cause the parents to flee. Just leave the area as quickly and quietly as you can, and do what you can to minimize your disturbance.

The following websites maintain lists of approved wildlife rehabilitation centers:

Please take a moment to help us improve your experience at the ADF&G website.
How did you arrive at our website?
Why did you visit our website today?
Did you find what you were looking for?
How easy or hard was it to find?
Very Easy Very Hard
Please provide any other comments or suggestions about your experience on the ADF&G website.

Having Trouble with this form?