Guide and Related Registration Questions:

  1. What is the quickest way to get my registration?
  2. Complete a registration application in person at an Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) office. A temporary registration will be issued that is valid for 14 days until your registration cards are emailed to you.

  3. How long will it take for me to get my registration card?
  4. If you apply in person, we will email you your registration card(s) before your temporary 14 day registration expires.

    If you apply online, we will email you your registration card(s) within 3 business days.

    If you apply with a renewal application we will email you your registration card(s) within 21 days.

  5. How do I know if a river is considered navigable?
  6. Here is a partial list. You may also contact the U.S. Coast Guard at (907) 428-4200 or by email at

  7. Can someone else apply for a registration for me?
  8. Yes. Anyone may act as your agent and apply for you; However, they will need all your applicable guide/business information for the registration.

  9. Why do I have to buy a king stamp/fishing license if I can't fish while guiding?
  10. Alaska Administrative Code 5 AAC 75.075(c)(3) states that a guide must have all current licenses, tags, and permits that are required to engage in the sport fishery where the services are being provided, because at some point during a guided trip, the guide may have to assist the client, which may give the appearance of actively fishing. In most cases statewide, guides can fish even though they may not be allowed to retain all or certain species that they catch, therefore, guides are required to have licenses, tags, and permits.

  11. Do I need to get an ADF&G registration if I only drop off clients at a fishing hole and pick them up later?
  12. No. A person does not need to be registered by ADF&G as a guide if they do not accompany the clients. The definition of "sport fishing guide services" includes accompanying or physically directing the sport angler in sport fishing activities during any part of a sport fishing trip. However, if an individual is compensated and provides any instructions to the clients on where to fish, what to use, or provides detailed instructions that would improve the client's success, that individual would be considered a guide.

  13. Do vessel captains transporting clients from ship-to-shore, or to fishing locations need a guide registration? Does the captain of the sport fishing charter boat need an ADF&G guide registration if they have a U.S. Coast Guard license?
  14. The captain must have a valid U.S. Coast Guard license if they are transporting clients, but they do not need a guide registration. A guide registration is required if they are assisting clients in sport fishing. The captain does not need to be registered by ADF&G if they are only piloting the vessel and not providing sport fishing guide services. But if guide services are provided, the vessel must have a registered guide on board.

  15. What do I do if my boat breaks down in season and I have to borrow another vessel?
  16. A person can temporarily borrow a vessel to replace one that is broken down. Use the logbook originally issued to your business to continue logging client trips for up to seven (7) days. Make certain the borrowed vessel has a decal and current year tabs.

    A new logbook is required if the temporary vessel is used for more than seven (7) days. Contact ADF&G if you need a new logbook and decals for the borrowed vessel.

  17. Do deck hands need to be registered by ADF&G?
  18. Assistants, deckhands, and similar persons who work directly under the supervision of, and on the same vessel as, a sport fishing guide do not need a sport fishing guide registration.

  19. I rent rafts, how do I get AK numbers and decals?
  20. If rental rafts are used for guided sport fishing, the owner of the rafts will need to obtain AK vessel numbers from the Department of Motor Vehicles. The AK vessel number of each rental raft is required to obtain logbooks, ADF&G decals, and year tabs. The decals can be made portable by adhering them to Plexiglas or wood and then displaying them on each side of the raft while clients are on board. ADF&G should be informed of the AK numbers for every vessel that may be used when guiding clients.

  21. Are homemade vessels required to be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles?
  22. If they are being used to provide sport fish guide services, yes. The only exception to this rule is personal flotation tubes.