Fish and Game Home

Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Fishing and Hunting License
General FAQ

License Frequently Asked Questions

In Alaska, a license is required to participate in hunting and trapping; sport, commercial, and personal use fishing; and sport fish guiding or hunting guiding. A number of different licenses are available at different prices for residents, non-residents, members of the military, and residents who are Disabled Veterans or who are age 60 or older. Most licenses, as well as King Salmon stamps, can be purchased online or by mail. Resident Senior Citizen and Disabled Veteran license applications are only available in person through local Fish and Game offices or by contacting the Fish and Game Licensing office.

In order to harvest many different species, you may also need a harvest tag, a special stamp, or a permit in addition to your hunting or fishing license. To learn more about licenses, tags, and permits, use the links at the left, refer to the hunting regulations and sport fishing regulations, or contact one of the ADF&G hunting information or sport fishing information centers.

Age Requirements

Fishing, Hunting, Trapping Licenses: Residents under the age of 16 do not need to purchase a hunting, sport fishing or trapping license. Non-residents under the age of 16 do not need to purchase a sport fishing license but they do need to purchase a hunting and/or trapping license. Residents of the state who are 60 years of age or older and meet the Fish and Game residency definition may obtain a Permanent Identification Card which will be issued without charge after completing an application, for more information see Resident Senior Citizen Licenses.

Crewmember licenses: Child crewmember licenses are available for residents and nonresidents for ages 10 years or younger at a discounted rate.

How Long is License Good For?

Licenses are good from the date of purchase through December 31 of the license year. The exceptions to this are the resident trapping licenses which are valid through September 30 of the next calendar year and the nonresident fishing licenses which are good for only 1, 3, 7 or 14 days.

Lost/Destroyed License/Tag/Stamp:

If your sport or commercial crewmember license, big game tag or king salmon stamp is lost/destroyed, you may purchase a duplicate for $5.00. Please visit your local license vendor or Department of Fish and Game office (if licenses are sold there), and request a duplicate license/tag/stamp.

Refund of Licenses, Stamps and Big Game Tags

Refunds are processed in the Headquarters Licensing office only. Please provide a written explanation to the refund request and include any original license, stamp or tag you are requesting to be refunded, along with any supporting documentation for the refund. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. If your request for a refund does not meet the criteria listed below, you will be sent a denial letter and the original licensing items will be sent back to you.

Refunds are regulated by Alaska Administrative Code 5 AAC 93.530 which states:

  1. A person who wishes to obtain a refund of a license fee must apply by submitting a written request directly to the department, including the person's original license and supporting documentation that shows the person meets the requirements in (b) of this section.
  2. A refund of a license fee will be granted by the department under this section only if the licensee or the licensee's representative demonstrates to the satisfaction of the department that the licensee was unable to make any use of the license as a result of
    1. the death or serious disabling illness or injury of the licensee that occurred after the licensee's purchase of the license and before the opening of any season for which the license may have been used; in the case of a serious disabling illness or injury, the illness or injury must have lasted until all seasons for which the license may be used are closed;
    2. the permanent cancellation of the opening of all seasons to which the license applied, rendering the license unusable at any time during the year for which it was issued; or
    3. a catastrophic event that the department determines justifies a refund of the license fee, including a localized volcano eruption or a terror alert that prohibits the licensee's air travel to this state.
  3. A refund will not be made under this section to a licensee who is
    1. unsuccessful in the licensee's efforts to take fish or game or obtain employment as a crewmember; or
    2. unable to conduct the licensed activity due to scheduling difficulties, transportation problems, misconduct of a guide, or other circumstances that prevent the licensee from undertaking the activity the licensee had planned, but which do not prevent the licensee from undertaking licensed activities at either an earlier or later time

If you have any questions about the refund process, please email us at or call the Licensing office at 907-465-2376.

Mailing Address to Apply for a Refund

Please send your written request for refund along with your original license/tag and any supporting documentation for the refund to the following address:

State of Alaska
Department of Fish and Game
Attn: Licensing/Refund
PO Box 115525
Juneau AK 99811-5525

Do I need a King Salmon Stamp?

King Salmon Stamps are required for anyone who fishes for anadromous king salmon except for residents and nonresidents under the age of 16 and persons who have these license types: resident blind fishing license, resident low income license, resident 60 years of age or older Permanent Identification Card license, and a resident disabled Veteran's license.

Do I Need a Big Game Tag?

Resident Licensee: If you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bears or muskoxen a big game tag may be required. Please see the current hunting regulations for details.

Nonresident Military Licensee: Yes, if you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bear, goat (free), muskox, or sheep (free). See definition above of a nonresident military licensee.

Nonresident / Nonresident Alien Licensee: Yes, if you plan to hunt brown/grizzly bear, black bear, bison, caribou, deer, elk, goat, moose, bull musk ox, sheep, wolf, or wolverine. See definition above of a nonresident or nonresident alien licensee.

Federal Requirement for Aliens Bringing Guns into the United States

The U.S. Department of Justice/Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) requires nonimmigrant aliens temporarily importing firearms and ammunition into the United States to submit ATF Form 6NIA (5330.3D), in order to obtain an ATF firearm import permit. This permit application must be submitted well in advance of your trip. If you have any questions about this new regulation, please contact ATF.

The form and instruction on how to submit it can be found by calling ATF at 202-927-8320 or downloading the application (form number 5330.3D under the Forms tab) from the ATF website at:

In order to submit this form, unless meeting other qualifications listed on the form, you must buy a hunting license. Then you must send a copy of the license with the form when you submit it. You will need the importation permit they issue and the hunting license in order to clear US Customs when you arrive in the United States.

You can find more information about importing your firearm into the United States at:

If you plan to just carry the gun while traveling in Alaska for wildlife protection and not to hunt, the least expensive hunting license you can purchase is a non-resident small game license for $20. You can purchase a license on-line at /store/.

Please remember that a hunting license is not required to carry the handgun in Alaska, it is required to apply for an importation permit from ATF and then to import it through US Customs. You can find all the regulations about carrying an unconcealed or concealed handgun in Alaska at There is no restriction in Alaska as to what type of handgun can be used with a small game license.

If you plan to also carry a gun into Canada, you can find more information about importing a handgun from Alaska to Canada by contacting Canadian Customs at:

Please note: You are considered a nonimmigrant alien under federal law for the ATF importation permit, and a nonresident or nonresident alien for the Alaska hunting license.

Higher Priced Tag as Replacement

If you are unable to purchase the tag you need, you can purchase another tag at the same or higher price and use that tag for the species you plan to hunt.

Do I Need a Duck Stamp?

Required for anyone who hunts waterfowl except for residents under the age of 16, and persons who have these license types: resident low income license, resident 60 years of age or older Permanent Identification Card license, and a resident disabled Veteran's license. Whenever you buy a Duck Stamp, you must answer a couple questions regarding waterfowl you have harvested. This data is required by the U.S. Dept of Interior Fish and Wildlife Service for their Harvest Information Program.

Yukon Resident Sport Fishing License and King Stamp

During the 2004 Legislative session, Senate Bill 56 passed and was signed into law by the Governor on March 5, 2004. SB 56 stated that the Commissioner of Fish and Game may adopt regulations authorizing residents of the Yukon to receive an Alaskan sport fishing license and king salmon tag at resident rates. The regulation became effective February 13, 2005. Residents of Yukon, Canada may purchase a Class 11, Yukon annual sport fishing license and a king salmon stamp. In order to do so, Yukon residents will need to provide to a license vendor a copy of their current resident Yukon sport fishing license and a valid Yukon Territory government issued identification card. If they have not met the Yukon's requirements to be considered a resident, then they cannot purchase an Alaskan Yukon sport fishing license/king salmon tag. This special license is available from any license vendor selling sport licenses. If you have any questions, please contact ADF&G Licensing or e-mail