Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Hunting / Trapping Licenses & Permits Home
- Buy Your Licenses & Tags
- Resident & Non-Resident Hunters
- Resident Hunters
- Military Hunters
- Disabled & Elderly
- General Information
Cultural and Subsistence Harvest Permits
The Board of Game has authorized a number of programs under which game may be harvested for cultural and subsistence uses. Brief descriptions of some of these programs and links to regulations authorizing each program are below.
Community Subsistence Harvest Hunt Area and Permit Conditions
- 2015–2016 Alaska Subsistence Permit Hunt Supplement (Tier I, Tier II, Community Harvest) (PDF 1,424 kB)
- 2015–2016 Hunt Conditions and Application for Copper Basin CSH caribou (PDF 272 kB)
- 2015–2016 Hunt Conditions and Application for Copper Basin CSH moose (PDF 286 kB)
- See regulation 5 AAC 92.072.
Cultural Education Permit
These permits authorize take of some game species for the purposes of passing on cultural knowledge and tradition in a structured educational setting such as an Alaska Native Culture Camp. Permits will not be issued when the proposed harvest can be reasonably accommodated under existing regulations. Links to the policy on issuing these permits and an application form are below. For more information please contact ADF&G Permits Section at (907) 465-4148 or email@example.com.
- Cultural Permit Application Procedures and Policy (PDF 45 kB)
- Cultural Permit Application (PDF 16 kB)
Taking of Big Game for Religious Ceremonies
Game for use as food in customary and traditional Alaska Native funerary or mortuary religious ceremonies may be harvested outside of existing seasons and bag limits. However, procedures and requirements for harvesting game differ by species and area. Please review links to the regulation authorizing this activity and list of populations where this practice is not allowed. For more information, please contact your local Fish and Game office.
- See regulation 5 AAC 92.019.
- Populations for which Taking of Big Game for Certain Religious Ceremonies is Inconsistent with Sustained Yield (PDF 155 kB)
Koyukon Potlatch Ceremonies
- See regulation 5 AAC 92.017.
- See regulation 5 AAC 92.053.
- See regulation 5 AAC 92.055.