Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
Frans Halibut Soup
It’s your whole meal right there
Visiting my neighbor Fran again, I noticed something delicious simmering on the stove. “Oh, you have to stay and have some halibut soup. Here, let me pour you some more wine.” She already had a place set for me. This soup was awesome. I have also made it with cod (when Costco doesn’t have halibut) and that is delicious as well.
Cook 4 strips of bacon (not maple flavored!) and pour off the grease.
Saute with the bacon
• A little olive oil
• ¾ onion
• Few ribs of celery, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic
• cut carrots and potatoes (quantity: you decide!)
• 2 16 oz. cans of Swanson’s Chicken Broth
• 1 can of clam broth (I used a big can from Costco – it yielded about 3 cups of broth)
Simmer until potatoes and carrots are done.
• Kosher salt
• Herbs of your choice, such as maybe cilantro or fresh ground pepper (“In Tenakee I add fresh thyme”)
• ½ cup Sauterne or white wine
• 2 lbs halibut cut into chunks
• Chopped zucchini
Simmer until fish is poached, 5-6 minutes.
• Green beans
• 1 cup clams
Simmer a few more minutes until green beans are done. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan.
Subscribe to Fish and Wildlife News to receive a monthly notice about the new issue and the articles.