Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Commercial Fishing Home
- News Releases & Announcements
- Information By Area
- Information By Fishery
- Reporting Resources
- Area Offices & Contact Information
- About the Division of Commercial Fisheries
- Partner Agencies & Fishermen Resources
Trawl Shrimp Fishery Research
Southeast Alaska & Yakutat Commercial Fisheries
Trawl shrimp fishery (northern pink shrimp, Pandalus borealis; sidestripe shrimp, Pandalopsis dispar)
In 2001, ADF&G shellfish biologists observed onboard several commercial beam trawl shrimp fishing vessels. The objectives of observing onboard beam trawl vessels were to:
- gain a better understanding operating conditions and constraints of the beam trawl shrimp fishery;
- investigate species composition of beam trawl catch and bycatch;
- describe the size and species composition of unsorted raw beam trawl shrimp catch;
- improve documentation of the distribution of commercial grounds for northern and sidestripe shrimp; and to
- begin to formulate ideas about how best to assess this fishery.
The beam trawl onboard observer program was curtailed in 2004 due to insufficient Department resources and sharp declines in beam trawl effort in response to very poor market conditions.
Beam Trawl Video
This video was taken by biologist David C. Love while observing onboard commercially fishing beam trawl vessels in the Petersburg/Wrangell area.
Beam Trawl Video ( 44,062 kB) (.wmv version)
Beam Trawl Video ( 38,760 kB) (.mpg version)
Due to the current small fishing effort there is currently no dockside sampling program for the trawl shrimp fishery. However, in the past data collected during dockside sampling was used to generate catch size frequencies. This data was used in the management plan for the fishery, and is useful for evaluating year class cohorts.
Publications authored by ADF&G Staff or contractors
- Hebert, K., and coauthors. 2008. 2009 Report to the Board of Fisheries on Region 1 Shrimp, Crab, and Scallop Fisheries (PDF 3,403 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Commercial Fisheries Division, Fisheries Management Report #08-62, 210 pp.
- Bishop, G. H., and J. Stratman. 2006. Report to the Alaska Board of Fisheries, 2006 Shrimp, Dungeness Crab and Scallop Fisheries of Southeast Alaska (PDF 1,015 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fisheries Management Report #06-03, Juneau, January 2006, 94 pp.
Adobe Acrobat PDF files require a free viewer available directly from Adobe.