Scallop Fishery Research
Southeast Alaska & Yakutat Commercial Fisheries
Trawl shrimp fishery (northern pink shrimp, Pandalus eous; sidestripe shrimp, Pandalopsis dispar)
Because of the extremely vertically integrated nature of the Alaskan scallop fishery, assessment for all except Central Region is conducted by the ADF&G Westward Region, headquartered in Kodiak. Qualitative assessment advice for the Yakutat scallop survey is based on the results of sampling during the onboard observer program and triennial dredge surveys of the Yakutat scallop grounds.
Onboard observer program
100% observer coverage is required of all vessels operating in the Yakutat scallop fishery. Observer training and debriefing is conducted by staff in the Westward Region. Observers monitor scallop CPUE and size composition, location of dredge tows, and bycatch of crab and other species.
A triennial dredge survey was historically conducted to obtain a swept-area estimate of density and to estimate size composition of weathervane scallops, Patinopecten caurinus, on the Yakutat grounds. Density information is expanded to produce a population estimate using detailed observer information on the extent of the commercial grounds.
Publications authored by ADF&G Staff or contractors
- Barnhart, J. P. 2004. Weathervane Scallop Observer Manual (PDF 3,553 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Commercial Fisheries Division, Regional Information Report #4K04-39, 69 pp.
- Barnhart, J. P. 2000. Weathervane Scallop Fishery in the Westward Region, 1967-1999 (PDF 1,770 kB). Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game, Regional Information Report #4K00-12, 25 pp.
- Barnhart, J. P., and G. E. Rosenkranz. 2003. Summary and Analysis of Onboard Observer-Collected Data from the 1999/2000 through 2001/2002 Statewide Commercial Weathervane Scallop Fishery (PDF 775 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Regional Information Report #4K03-9, 115 pp.
- Kruse, G. H. 1994. Fishery Management Plan for Commercial Scallop Fisheries in Alaska (PDF 3,700 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Draft Special Publication #5, 56 pp.
- Rosenkranz, G. E. 2010. Summary of observer data collected during the 2007/08 Alaska Weathervane Scallop Fishery (PDF 1,963 kB). Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Fishery Data Series #10-36, 62 pp.
- Turk, T. A. 2000. Distribution, Abundance and Spatial Management of the Weathervane Scallop (Patinopecten caurinus) Fishery in Alaska. Masters Thesis, University of Washington, Seattle. 231 pp.
- Rosenkranz, G. E., and S. Byersdorfer. 2004. Video scallop survey in the eastern Gulf of Alaska, USA. Fisheries Research 69(1):131-140.
Adobe Acrobat PDF files require a free viewer available directly from Adobe.