Southeast Alaska Acoustic Driving Transects
We currently have citizen science acoustic driving survey programs in 7 communities across Southeast Alaska: Cordova, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Sitka, and Wrangell. Surveys are conducted weekly from April through mid-November. Survey kits may be signed out for 1 week at a time.
The driving survey program is a partnership between ADF&G and local coordinators in each community. ADF&G provides the equipment and receives, processes, and analyzes the data. Local coordinators check the survey equipment in and out, download the data, and send the data to ADF&G.
Signing up to conduct a survey is easy:
- Complete and sign the
Volunteer Agreement (PDF 1,511 kB)
and email it to ADF&G at firstname.lastname@example.org. All surveyors must have their volunteer agreement approved by ADF&G prior to conducting a survey. Agreements are good for one calendar year.
Instructions for completing the form:
- Complete all (and only) sections shaded in yellow
- You must provide a full address (including town) for you and your emergency contact
- Minors under the age of 8 do not require a form. Parents of minors 8 years and older must read and comply with the department's SOP No. III-524 (PDF 64 kB).
- Contact the local coordinator in your community during the survey season to sign up for a survey slot. Contact information for each coordinator is listed below.
Haines Hwy Transect Route (hns1) (PDF 497 kB)
Chilkoot Lake to Mud Bay Transect Route (hns2) (PDF 346 kB)
Education and Cultural Coordinator
Haines Borough Public Library
111 3rd Ave
Haines, AK 99827
Echo Cove Transect Map (PDF 427 kB)
The kit is hosted at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. They are closed for the month of April. For the month of April, please contact:
U.S. Forest Service
Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
Starting May 1, please sign up in person at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, 8:00am – 7:30pm, 7 days a week.
U.S. Forest Service
- Driving Surveys Volunteer Agreement (PDF 1,511 kB)