Sitka Chinook Symposium
Monday, May 21, 2018, 5-8pm at Harrigan Centennial Hall Silver Room
Free & open to the public
Click here for audio/powerpoint recording of the meeting. This version edited for content.
About the Symposium
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) invites the public to attend a Chinook Salmon Symposium, Monday, May 21, 5:00-8:00pm, at Harrigan Centennial Hall in Sitka, Alaska. Attend this free symposium and learn about the status of Southeast Alaska Chinook salmon, research and management, the Pacific Salmon Treaty, and participation in the public process. Hosted by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, this event features:
- Chinook salmon research– what we know about how local stocks are performing, as well as Pacific Northwest Chinook salmon stocks coastwide.
- A look at the last 10 years of Chinook salmon management for the commercial and sport fisheries - annual allocations, actual harvest, and performance relative to the Pacific Salmon Treaty.
- Conservative actions – management measures in response to poor Chinook salmon production.
- Treaty transparency – a summary of the treaty past, present, and future.
- Public process and participation – an overview of the public regulatory process and how to get involved.
- Public question and answer session.
|5:00||Opening Remarks||Commissioner Sam Cotten|
|5:15||Chinook Salmon Research Overview (PDF 14,196 kB)||Ed Jones, Chinook Salmon Research Coordinator|
|5:45||A look at the last 10 years of Chinook salmon management for the commercial fisheries (PDF 1,500 kB) and sport fisheries (PDF 1,785 kB) and recent conservative actions in response to poor Chinook salmon production.||Bob Chadwick, Southeast Regional Management Coordinator – Sport Fish Division
Grant Hagerman, Sitka Troll Manager – Commercial Fisheries Division
|6:15||Treaty transparency – a summary of the treaty past, present and future (PDF 2,084 kB)||Charles O. Swanton, Deptuy Commissioner and Pacific Salmon Commissioner for Alaska|
|6:45||Public process and participation (PDF 3,822 kB)||Glenn Haight, Executive Director of the Board of Fisheries|
|7:00||Public Q&A with audience members in Sitka||Moderated by Glenn Haight|
Relevant Chinook Info
- 2018 Southeast Alaska Chinook Salmon All Gear Harvest Limit
- Basis for 2018 Chinook Salmon Conservation Measures in Southeast Alaska
- The Pacific Salmon Treaty: Trials, Tribulations and a Tribute: an editorial by Deputy Commissioner Charles O. Swanton
- Chilkat River and King Salmon River King Salmon Stock Status and Action Plan, 2018
- Unuk River King Salmon Stock Status and Action Plan, 2018
- Sport Fisheries: Southeast Emergency Orders & News Releases
- Commercial Fisheries: Lastest Announcements (incl. Subsistence & Personal Use)
- Incidental Fishing Mortality of Chinook Salmon (PDF 2,048 kB)
- Standardized Fishing Regimes for Southeast Alaska Fisheries (PDF 1,320 kB)
Send your questions or concerns to ADF&G here. You can also contact your nearest regional office.
Technical difficulties: email email@example.com. Thanks!