Sport Fish Guides and Charters
What a guide must have in possession while guiding:
- A current sport fishing guide registration.
- A copy of the current ADF&G sport fishing business registration of the guide's employer.
- A current Alaska sport fishing license, tags, stamps or permits that are required to engage in the sport fishery for which guide services are being provided.
- An identification card issued to the sport fishing guide by a state or federal agency that bears a photo of the sport fishing guide.
- Logbook (issued to business)
- Vessel must be registered (if guiding from a vessel).
- Other agencies (such as USCG) may have additional requirements. It is your responsibility to determine what requirements apply to you.
Additional Business Owner Requirements
Business owner must comply with the following:
- Provide all employed guides with a copy of the business registration to have on their persons while guiding.
- Ensure that guides employed by that business accurately and completely maintain trip information within the logbooks in the timely manner specified in the logbook instructions.
- Review and be familiar with the current year Sport Fishing Regulations for Special Guiding Regulations.
- Before operating a charter business or guiding sport anglers on the Kenai River, each guide and vessel must be registered annually with both ADF&G and the Soldotna office of the Alaska Department of Natural Resources/Division of Parks. For more information, call the Kenai River Center at (907) 714-2471.
- Non-profit organizations need to register as a sport fishing business if they are charging for their services.
- All business owners are RESPONSIBLE for making sure that logbook data is submitted to ADF&G in the timely manner specified in the logbook.