Catcher-Seller FAQs

  • How do I fill out a fish ticket?
    Every fish ticket is required to have information as specified in 5AAC 39.130 (PDF 35 kB). Check with your local area office for other reporting requirements on fish tickets.
  • What information legally needs to be on a fish ticket?
    1. The name of the first purchaser, processor, exporter or the catcher-seller.
    2. The full name and signature of the CFEC permit holder.
    3. The name or Coast Guard number or the Dept. of Transportation number of the vessel that caught the fish.
    4. Date that fishing gear was deployed.
    5. Delivery date of the fish resource.
    6. The vessel license plate number. In the case of set net sites or fish wheels use the CFEC permit holders 5-digit CFEC permit serial number.
    7. Gear type (Represented by a gear code).
    8. The ADF&G statistical area.
    9. The nearest headland or bay to where the fish were harvested

    10. Species applicable required information
    11. Number of fish and pounds by species
    12. Delivery Condition (represented by a delivery condition code).
    13. Number and pounds of deadloss, infested and discarded fish or shellfish

    14. Information to be imprinted
    15. The CFEC permit number
    16. The processor code issued by ADF&G (4 digit code and letter prefix as it appears on the metal tag)

    17. Additional information
    18. Number of fish retained for personal use
    19. Any information the commissioner deems necessary

    20. Information not required to be on a fish ticket
      Price/financial information
  • Where do I submit completed fish tickets?
    Fish tickets should be submitted to the nearest local area ADF&G office. Addresses are shown on the cover of the fish ticket books. The exceptions are listed below:
    • All Southeast troll salmon tickets should be sent to Sitka.
    • All halibut and groundfish tickets for Prince William Sound, Cook Inlet and North Gulf State waters should be sent to the Homer office.
    • Salmon tickets for Lower Cook Inlet go to Homer and Upper Cook Inlet go to Soldotna.
  • Can I use last year’s fish tickets?
  • Who can I sell my fish to?
    Anyone within the State of Alaska
  • What do I need to qualify for a Catcher-Seller permit?
    At least one limited entry permit (gear card) from the Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission for the current year.
  • Do I need to be an Alaskan resident to receive a Catcher-Seller permit?
  • Can I ship my fish as a Catcher-Seller?
    Only within the state of Alaska. You may need additional permits from Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
  • When I receive my code plate and fish tickets from Fish and Game am I legal to operate?
    No. You must register your operation at the nearest local ADF&G office and obtain instructions on reporting requirements in your area. Also there may be other agencies that require information or licenses/permits such as DEC or NOAA depending on the fishery.
  • How do I order more fish tickets?
    Call the Seafood Industry Coordinator at 907-465-6131 or email
  • How do I order more code plates?
    Call the Seafood Industry Coordinator at 907-465-6131 or email
  • Do I need a certified scale?
    If you sell product by the pound you need to obtain a certified scale from the Dept. of Transportation, Div. of Weights and Measures. To have a scale certified it is recommended to contact them directly for instructions to have a scale certified.
    There are three offices throughout the state.
    • Operations in Southeast should contact the Juneau office at (907)-789-9763.
    • Operations north of Yakutat, on the Aleutian Chain and central Alaska should contact the Anchorage office at (907) 365-1222.
    • Operations occurring in the Interior, Nome, Bethel and outlying communities should contact the Fairbanks office at (907) 451-3134.
    Please note that there are also federal labeling requirements for pre-packaged products.
    Shellfish Exception: You can sell by the count. Ex: 25 jumbo shrimp or 1 Dungeness crab.
    You can share a scale with different fisherman. Requirement is that the product passes over a certified scale. It does not matter who owns the scale.