Sport Fish Guides and Charters
Freshwater logbook reporting is no longer required for guided sport fishing.
ALL freshwater businesses and guides are STILL required to:
- Register with ADF&G for the season,
- Register their vessels with ADF&G for the season, and
- Obtain and display vessel decals and annual year stickers (2 per vessel) for their sport fishing vessel(s)
Vessel registration forms are available at ADF&G area offices. The Business & Guide Registration tab has more information on how to register. Vessel decals and annual year stickers for each registered vessel are given to businesses at the time of vessel registration.
A logbook is required by ALL sport fish charter/guide operators operating in saltwater, regardless of whether a vessel is used or not. It is the business owner’s responsibility to obtain a logbook. Logbooks can be picked up at ADF&G area offices.
All charter businesses and guides operating in Southeast Alaska are required to use eLogbook to report guided fishing activity. One paper logbook will be available to use as a backup to the eLogbook.
Charter businesses operating in other parts of Alaska will be issued an eLogbook upon request and operators can choose to report their guided activities with either the paper Logbook or with the eLogbook. Paper and electronic logbooks can be used interchangeably, but trips should only be submitted once. Learn more about the eLogbook or watch eLogbook “How to” videos.
If your business begins operation prior to the availability of the current year logbook, please proceed with the following method to log your trips:
- Download the Temporary/Pre-Season Saltwater Logbook Page to track your activity until logbooks become available at your ADF&G area office. You can download a separate PDF which has instructions for completing the logbook page.
- Once a current year logbook has been issued, transfer the logbook number onto the temporary logbook data page(s) before mailing to ADF&G.
Do not send temporary data page(s) to ADF&G without a current year logbook number. If no logbook number appears, ADF&G will not be able to associate the trip with your business
Required Documents to Obtain a Logbook
- Department of Motor Vehicles issued vessel AK number, OR vessel US Coast Guard Documentation number.
- ADF&G Sport Fishing Business Owner Operator’s Registration (can be completed at time logbook is picked up)
Saltwater Logbook Reporting Requirements
- All guided trips must be recorded in the saltwater logbook.
- All completed saltwater logbook sheets must be returned to ADF&G no later than the date specified in the logbook.
- As described in the logbook it is the responsibility of the guide to ensure that fishing activity is recorded in a timely manner.
- It is the responsibility of the business owner to ensure that all data for fishing activities, from January 1 through December 31 are submitted to ADF&G no later than the date specified in the logbook.
- The saltwater logbook or eLogbook must be made available for review when requested by any local representative of ADF&G, State of Alaska Peace Officer, or Federal Enforcement Officer .