Become a Volunteer Instructor
Do you enjoy mentoring children and others in firearms safety? If so, the HIT Program is looking for interested men, women, and apprentices (ages 14–17) to become Volunteer Instructors. Instructors teach Hunter Education, Bowhunter Education, Crossbow Education, and Muzzleloader Education certification courses across the state. It is a volunteer position that provides many rewards. HIT Program volunteer instructors assist in developing safe Alaskan hunters, improving hunter ethics and responsibility, and passing on a valuable tradition to thousands of new outdoor enthusiasts.
See the document below for details and application materials to become a HIT Program Volunteer Instructor or contact the HIT Program Administrative Office at (907) 267-2187.
- HIT Program Volunteer Instructor Application (PDF 174 kB)
New Volunteer Instructor Training Courses
- Anchorage — October 26 & 27, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 8:00am–5:00pm
- Fairbanks — March 30 & 31, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am–5:00pm
- Anchorage — April 13 & 14, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am–5:00pm
- Juneau — May 4 & 5, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am–5:00pm
- Anchorage — October 12 & 13, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am–5:00pm
- Anchorage — March 30 & 31, Friday from 6:00pm–9:00pm and Saturday from 8:00am–5:00pm
- Anchorage — May 5, Saturday from 8:00am–5:00pm
- Fairbanks — May 5, Saturday from 8:00am–5:00pm
Submit your application information and contact your area's HIT Program staff to sign up for these trainings. Southcentral: Kirk Lingofelt 267-2373. Northern: Bob Hunter 459-7375. Southeast: Stephen Sowell 465-4345
Active Volunteer Instructors
Current instructors: Please check this section for all the new information and news that you may need in order to stay current with changes within the HIT Program.
Click here to log in to the instructor page with all the forms needed for teaching.
HIT Program Newsletters
2017 Volunteer Instructors of the Year
Ed Bosco, Anchorage
Hunter Education Instructor of the Year
Jonathan Lanier, Eielson AFB
HIT Program Outstanding Educator of the Year
Bob Marshall, Palmer
Muzzleloader Education Instructor of the Year
2018 Annual Volunteer Instructor Meetings
- Thursday, May 10th from 6:00pm-9:00pm at the Fairbanks Indoor Range
- Wednesday, November 7th from 6:00pm-9:00pm at the Mat-Valley Indoor Range (Palmer)
- Thursday, November 8th from 6:00pm-9:00pm at the Juneau Indoor Range
- Tuesday, December 4th from 6:00pm-9:00pm at the Rabbit Creek Shooting Park (Anchorage)
- Thursday, December 6th from 6:00pm-9:00pm at the Snowshoe Gun Club (Soldotna)