Area Sport Fishing Reports

August Season

King salmon trolling is usually productive in August in Taiya Inet, where rearing fish from northern southeast Alaska stocks come to feed.

ADF&G creel surveyors will be contacting salt water anglers returning to Skagway through August. The creel survey program collects important data about king salmon harvested in the area: wild and hatchery stock composition, age and maturity, angler affort, and average catch rates.

Dolly Varden and cutthroat trout have moved out of the lakes where they spent the winter and into clear water tributaries of glacial rivers. Bait is not allowed when fishing in Chilkat Lake and Mosquito Lake. Use the regulation link for details on where and when bait use is restricted and cutthroat trout size limits. Dolly Varden and cutthroat trout can be caught from salt water shorelines in the Haines and Skagway area in the summer.

Sport fishing for shrimp is open in the Haines and Skagway area. Non-Alaska resident anglers should read the regulation summary booklet for the bag & possession limits, and all shrimpers should rview the pot configuration details in the regulation book.

The Southeast Alaska red and blue king crab personal use fishery is open July 1-March 31 to Alaska residents only, with a bag and possession limit of 1 legal size male crab. For the most current information on this closure, please refer to the ADF&G Commercial Fish Division’s king crab personal use news release.

Yukon Resident Sport Fishing Fees: Residents of Yukon, Canada may purchase a Class 11, Yukon annual sport fishing license and king salmon stamp for the same cost that Alaska residents pay. Yukon residents are considered non-Alaska residents and they must comply with all regulations pertaining to non-residents. The Class 11 license is available from any license vendor, and also from the Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau ADF&G offices, but this license can not be purchased online. If you have any questions, please call the ADF&G licensing office at 907-465-2376 or e-mail

Fishing Guide Registration and Logbooks: All sport fishing guides and businesses must register with ADF&G. This can be done online or at the ADF&G office in Haines, where guides can also pick up the required logbook.

For a detailed summary of sport fishing sites in the Haines and Skagway area, use links on the Fishing Information tab.

Helpful links