Area Sport Fishing Reports

November through February Season

Southeast Alaska Sport Fishing Regulation Summary booklets are available at sporting goods vendors and at Alaska Department of Fish and Game offices.

Dolly Varden and cutthroat trout can be found in the Chilkat and Chilkoot Rivers as they make their way to deep lakes to spend the winter. Some regulations that apply to the Haines and Skagway area are:

  • To reduce cutthroat trout mortality, bait is not allowed when fishing in Chilkat Lake and Mosquito Lake. The bag and possession limits for cutthroat trout in Chilkat and Mosquito Lake is 2 fish which have to be within a 14-inch minimum and 22-inch maximum size limit. 
  • The Dolly Varden bag and possession limit in Chilkoot Lake and Chilkoot River is 4 fish.

Steelhead are rare in the Haines and Skagway Area. If you happen to catch one, remember that steelhead must be at least 36 inches in length to be harvested. There is a 1 fish daily bag limit and 2 fish annual harvest limit per angler. Steelhead anglers must record their harvest on the back of their license.

All sport anglers may use 2 rods while fishing for king salmon in Southeast Alaska salt water October 1 through March 31. 

Sport fishing for shrimp is open in the Haines and Skagway area. Non-Alaska resident anglers should read the regulation summary booklet for the bag & possession limits, and all shrimpers should review the pot configuration details in the regulation book.

The Southeast Alaska red and blue king crab personal use fishery is open July 1-March 31 to Alaska residents only, with a bag and possession limit of 1 legal size male crab. For the most current information on this closure, please refer to the ADF&G Commercial Fish Division’s king crab personal use news release.

Yukon Resident Sport Fishing Fees: Residents of Yukon, Canada may purchase a Class 11, Yukon annual sport fishing license and king salmon stamp for the same cost that Alaska residents pay. Yukon residents are considered non-Alaska residents and they must comply with all regulations pertaining to non-residents. The Class 11 license is available from any license vendor, and also from the Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau ADF&G offices, but this license can not be purchased online. If you have any questions, please call the ADF&G licensing office at 907-465-2376 or by e-mail.

For a detailed summary of sport fishing sites in the Haines and Skagway area, use links on the Fishing Information tab.

Helpful links