Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
April 29, 2020
Just a reminder to all our anglers, please do your part to help slow the spread of Covid-19 by following and reviewing the current State of Alaska Health Mandates in effect. This includes practicing social distancing while sport and personal use fishing and wearing a face covering when fishing and if you are needing fishing supplies from your local store as indicated in Health Alert 010.
This update is for the week of April 30, 2020. This hooligan fishing report will be updated when additional information is available.
- The open season for hooligan (smelt) in saltwaters is April 1-May 31; and in freshwaters April 1-June 15. There is no bag or possession limit for personal use smelt. Hooligan may be taken by dipnet in any fresh or salt water during the open season.
- We have had no reports of Hooligan getting caught yet this season. Area rivers are no longer ice bound. A few adventures jet boaters are launching into Twentymile River. The run timing for the hooligan is highly variable. A few sea gulls and an eagle were seen walking the shore during low tide. Also a few hooligan dipnetters prospecting but we haven’t heard of any hooligan getting caught yet.
- This is a personal use fishery and only Alaska residents can participate. No permit is required, but you do need a valid 2020 Alaska resident fishing license or ADF&G Permanent fishing license ID card with you. Both of which are available online.
- Please contact the Sport Fish Information Center at (907) 267-2218 if you have a fishing report you are willing to share or any questions about this fishery.
For your safety, and for the safety of others, please be advised to:
- Check an abide by the state and municipal health mandates and advisories.
- Park well off the highway.
- Do not trespass on the railroad tracks or the railroad right-of-way.
- Be respectful and take all your trash with you, don’t throw it on the ground.
- Obey all signs and do not block the boat launch.
For additional information on dipnetting for hooligan see the 2020 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations summary booklet.