Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
April 08, 2020
This is the first update of the 2020 season. This hooligan fishing report will be updated when additional information is available.
- The open season for hooligan (smelt) in saltwaters is April 1–May 31; and in freshwaters April 1–June 15. There is no bag or possession limit for personal use smelt. Hooligan may be taken by dipnet in any fresh or salt water during the open season.
- We have had no reports of Hooligan getting caught yet this season. Ice is still covering many of the streams and rivers. Run timing for the hooligan run is highly variable.
- This is a personal use fishery and only Alaska residents can participate. No permit is required, but you do need a valid 2020 Alaska resident sport fishing license or ADF&G Permanent fishing license ID card with you. Both of which are available online.
- Please contact the Sport Fish Information Center at (907) 267-2218 if you have a fishing report you are willing to share or any questions about this fishery.
For your safety, and for the safety of others, please be advised of the following:
- Check and abide by the state and municipal health mandates and advisories.
- Park well off the highway.
- Do not trespass on the railroad tracks or the railroad right-of-way.
- Be respectful and take all your trash with you, don’t throw it on the ground.
- Obey all signs and do not block the boat launch.
For additional information on dipnetting for hooligan see the 2020 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet.