Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
May 09, 2019
Anchorage Management Area
Week of May 8 - May 14
- There are currently no Emergency Orders for the Anchorage Management Area.
- Dipnetting for hooligan (smelt) opened April 1 and will remain open until June 15. There is no bag or possession limit.
- This is a personal use fishery and only Alaska residents can participate. No permit is required, but you do need a valid 2019 Alaska resident fishing license or ADF&G Permanent fishing license ID card with you.
- Hooligan run timing is highly variable but people continue to be successful at getting hooligan over the last week. Reports have come in that people are having luck 1-2 hours before the high tide. It’s best to get there well before the tide comes in to get a good spot
- Speed zone reductions are in place on the Seward Highway as of May 2, 2019. Watch for people along the roadways.
- For your safety, and for the safety of others, please park well off the highway. Do not trespass on the railroad tracks or the railroad right-of-way. Please be respectful and take all your trash with you, don’t throw it on the ground. Please obey all signs and do not block the boat launch.
- For additional information on dipnetting for hooligan see the 2019 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet.
- Rainbow Trout/Dolly Varden/Arctic Char
- Spawning closures are in place for Campbell and Chester creeks. Both creeks closed to all sport fishing April 15 - June 14 to protect spawning rainbow trout.
- Ship Creek is open to king salmon fishing. It will likely be a couple weeks before the first fish is caught but it wouldn’t hurt to wet a line soon. Try spinners or bait.
- Dipnetting for hooligan opened April 1 and will remain open until May 31.
- Cheney Lake has been fishing well!
- Jewel, Mirror, Cheney, Sand, Delong, Lake Otis, and Taku/Campbell lakes were all stocked with rainbow trout last week. Fishing should be excellent! Try spinners and bait under a bobber.
- Lakes on JBER were also stocked with catchable rainbow trout including Green, Clunie, Hillberg, Spring, and Gwen.
- Anchorage Lakes are open and lakes are getting stocked over the next couple of weeks! Check out the stocking webpage to find out where your most likely to be successful.
For additional information, please contact the ADF&G Anchorage Sport Fish Info Desk at (907) 267-2218.