Mark Somerville, Area Management Biologist
(907) 822-3309, firstname.lastname@example.org
Area Sport Fishing Reports
Upper Copper/Upper Susitna
September 1, 2023
NOTE: This will be the final fishing report of the season for the Upper Copper - Upper Susitna Management Area.
Personal Use Fishing
- The Chitina Subdistrict personal use dipnet salmon fishery on the Copper River is currently open through the end of the season at 11:59 p.m. Saturday, September 30. Due to heavy rain, the water level in the Copper River has come up more than 3 feet in the last week and fishing is very slow.
- Some silver salmon have begun to show up and the proportion of silvers should increase as we move into September.
- Call the Chitina Personal Use Fishery Hotline at 907-822-5224 for more information on the Chitina dipnet fishery.
For a guide to where all the accessible fisheries are, check out Sport fishing Alaska rivers and lakes in the Upper Copper/Upper Susitna River Basin. This guide lists all the fisheries, species available and mile markers along all the major highways crossing the Upper Copper and Upper Susitna Area.
- ADF&G stocked more than 1,000 catchable-size rainbow trout in two Glennallen-area lakes earlier this week. Almost 500 rainbows were stocked in Pippin Lake and almost 600 rainbows were stocked in Tex Smith Lake. There's nothing better than a dinner of fresh rainbow trout. Try small spinners or spoons, salmon eggs or small pieces of shrimp to get their attention.
- There are lots of sockeye salmon in the Gulkana River but very few anglers are targeting them so you won't have to worry about competition. It's worth a shot with the high water in Chitina.
- Arctic grayling are migrating to overwintering areas, providing anglers the opportunity to catch some larger fish. Large lakes like Lake Louise and Paxson Lake should provide great angling opportunity with cooler temperatures prevailing.
Lake trout and burbot
- Lake trout should be moving up into shallower waters with the cooler temperatures. This may open some more opportunity for shore angling success for lake trout. Burbot should be more active with the cooler tmperatures, also.
- The Little Tonsina River and the upper Klutina River are good choices for Dollies. Also try along the Nabesna and McCarthy Roads for some smaller Dollies. For even smaller Dollies you can have a great time fishing the Tiekel River which runs along Richardson Highway on the way to Valdez.
Please review the Emergency Orders and Advisory Announcements listed at the top of this report in their entirety before heading out on your next fishing trip. Also, be sure to review the 2023 Northern Sport Fishing Regulations Summary Booklet for the area you are fishing before you head out.
- Download the ADF&G Mobile App today. You can purchase and display your fishing license and king stamp, record your annual harvest (i.e. king salmon, halibut), access sport fishing regulations and locations, and so much more on your mobile device. You can also purchase your license and dipnetting permits online at the ADF&G online store.
- Also, check out ADF&G's new gofishak interactive map to discover popular fishing locations and information on species run timing, fishing gear selections, and boat and angler access tips.
For more information
For more information, please call the Glennallen office at (907) 822-3309.