Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
May 14, 2014
Northern Cook Inlet area
Week of May 14 to May 20
Issued May 14, 2014
Emergency Orders and regulation reminders
• Anglers are reminded that flowing waters in the Palmer-Wasilla Zone are CLOSED to all fishing until June 14.
• Many flowing waters along the Parks Highway are catch-and-release only for rainbow trout until June 14.
• Anglers are advised that, in an effort to meet king salmon escapement goals in the Susitna River and Little Susitna River drainages, the following sport fishing restrictions are in effect in the Susitna River drainage (Units 1-6) and Little Susitna River:
o Only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed. Deshka River included.
o King salmon harvest (of any size) is prohibited within Unit 1 (except on Deshka River), on the Parks Highway streams within Unit 2, the upper Susitna (Unit 3), Talachulitna River (Unit 4), Talkeetna River (Unit 5), and Chulitna River (Unit 6). Fishing, but not harvest of king salmon, will be allowed during days and times normally open to king salmon fishing within these management units.
o The Deshka River is open to king salmon harvest 7 days per week. King salmon harvest in the Yentna drainage (except Talachulitna River) is allowed 4 days per week (Fridays-Mondays); king salmon harvest (of any size) is prohibited Tuesdays-Thursdays; only catch-and-release fishing is allowed on these days. The Talachulitna River is restricted to catch-and-release 7 days per week.
o Harvest on the Little Susitna is allowed Saturdays-Mondays. King salmon harvest (of any size) is prohibited Tuesdays-Fridays; only catch-and-release fishing is allowed on these days.
o An annual limit of 2 king salmon over 20 inches applies to Susitna and Little Susitna drainages combined. King salmon that are intended to be released may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately.
o In the waters of Unit 2 open to catch-and-release fishing for king salmon, fishing for trout and other species will not be affected by these emergency regulations for king salmon and will continue as written in current regulation.
o The Eklutna Tailrace is excluded from all king salmon emergency order restrictions.
• It is still early for kings, but expect the action to build slowly through the end of May.
• The mouth of the Deshka River or lower Little Susitna are your best bets for an early king.
• Fishing at the Eklutna Power Plant Tailrace generally picks up in June.
• The Little Su weir has been installed, and the Deshka weir will be next. Stay tuned to our web page at the following address to view fish counts: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/
Trout, Dolly Varden, Grayling
• Parks Highway streams are now clearing up. Try the mouths and lower sections of these streams for rainbow trout, Dolly Varden, and Arctic grayling.
• Remember that Deception Creek is closed to all fishing until June 15.
• Try beads and flesh patterns for these hungry fish.
• Anglers may retain as many pike as they catch – there is no bag or possession limit. In the freshwaters of West Cook Inlet and Susitna River drainage, anglers are not allowed to release live pike back into the water.
• Northern pike may be found in shallow grassy waters where they are spawning. This is also a good time to try bow fishing.
• For road-accessible pike fishing try the Nancy Lake Recreation Area lakes and Big, Prator, Memory lakes.
• Take a spring boat trip on the Susitna and try fishing the side channel sloughs of the Deshka River, Fish Creek (Kroto Slough), or Moose or Indian creeks on the Yentna River.
• Meirs, Matanuska, Loberg, and Lucile, Echo and Kepler/Bradley Lakes have been stocked with catchable rainbow trout.
• Lakes will continue to be stocked, so stay tuned to the fish stocking web page-http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=SportStockingHatcheriesSearch.main.
• Hooligan should start showing in the Susitna River this week.
• You must hold an Alaskan resident sport fishing license (or ADF&G senior license or ADF&G Disabled Veteran’s license) in order to use a dipnet to catch hooligan. You may take as many hooligan as you will use.