Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Secondary Site Navigation
- Sport Fish Home
- Fishing Information
- Alaska Lake Database
- Information By Area
- Guide and Charter Requirements
- Boating and Angler Access Programs
- Hatcheries and Stocking
- Nonnative & Invasive Species
- Angler Education Opportunities
- Proxy Fishing
Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
January 17, 2014
Winter Fishing Report: (Mat-Su)
Date: 1-15 through 1-31
• Jan 1, 2014 marks the start of a new licensing year. Remember to buy one prior to heading out on your next adventure.
• 2013 Sport Fish regulation booklets are valid through April 15, 2014.
• Fishing has been good to excellent in stocked lakes.
• Find information on ADF&G’s stocked lakes here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=SportStockingHatcheriesSearch.main
• Reports earlier this week indicate variable ice thickness including reports of anglers breaking through the ice. Use extreme caution and be aware of over-flow and thin ice locations such as Big Lake and Matanuska Lakes right now. ADF&G does not monitor ice thickness and fishing is at your own risk.
Places to Take a Kid Fishing (easily accessible locations)
• Finger Lake – wide variety of fish; high catch rates
• Knik Lake – recently stocked with landlocked king salmon
• Nancy Lake offers road accessible pike fishing. Alexander, Figure Eight, Flathorn, and Trapper lakes offer snowmachine accessible pike fishing.
• Big Lake offers arctic char, rainbow trout, and northern pike.
• Finger Lake- catchable kings, rainbow trout
• Lake Lucile – Rainbow trout, coho salmon
• Knik Lake – catchable kings
• Long Lake (mile 86) – Rainbow trout, char, Lake trout
• Memory Lake - pike
Rainbow trout prefer wide varieties of food sources such as leeches, aquatic macro invertebrates of many kinds (stoneflies, dragon flies, etc.) and different life stages; adult, larvae. Recent stomach content analysis (1/13/14) revealed many snails, beetles, and scuds. Learn more about rainbow trout here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=steelhead.main