Region 2-Southcentral News Release
(Released: June 20, 2018 - Expired: June 24, 2018)
Division of Sport Fish
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Contact: Jay Baumer, Area Management Biologist
(Anchorage) - The 2018 Campbell Creek Youth-Only King Salmon Fishery will take place from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 23, 2018, and Sunday, June 24, 2018. If you are planning on attending, please review the 2018 Southcentral Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet for the Campbell Creek special regulations. Anglers are also reminded to be careful because the water levels are expected to be high and turbid making fishing conditions challenging.
The Campbell Creek Youth-Only Fishery offers anglers who are 15 years of age and younger the opportunity to fish for king salmon in sections of Campbell Creek. This is the only time that king salmon is open for fishing on Campbell Creek. The section open for youth anglers is between Dimond Boulevard and the Old Seward Highway. Youth anglers are only allowed 1 king per day. Although youth do not need a sport fishing license or king salmon stamp they do need a Harvest Record Card. Any king salmon harvested must be recorded immediately on the Harvest Record Card. Kids may also catch trout in the creek, but other species of salmon are closed and must be immediately released. While adults can assist youth anglers in landing a fish, this section of Campbell Creek is closed to all fishing, including catch-and-release, for anglers 16 and older during this time. As with all sport fisheries in Alaska, the fish belongs to the angler that sets the hook. Snagging is not allowed but youth can use bait during this time.
On Saturday, June 23, 2018, from approximately 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. ADF&G staff and volunteers will be at the Taku-Campbell Lake parking lot located off East 76th Avenue and King Street to help young anglers. ADF&G will have fishing rods available for kids to check out and use on a first come basis during this timeframe. Water conditions may not be ideal for fishing the creek during this timeframe. If you are out with your kids please take extra precautions to ensure they are safe.
Campbell Creek Youth-Only Fishery (June 23-June 24) Regulation Summary
- June 23-June 24, 2018, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- King Salmon (20 inches or greater in length): 1 per day, 1 in possession
- King Salmon (less than 20 inches in length): 10 per day, 10 in possession
- Other Salmon: Closed
- Rainbow Trout: 5 per day, 5 in possession (only 1 fish may be 20 inches or longer)
- Dolly Varden: 5 per day, 5 in possession
- June 24-June 24, 2018, closed to all fishing
- King Salmon (20 inches or greater in length): Closed year-round
- King Salmon (less than 20 inches in length): Closed year-round
- Other Salmon: Closed. Coho Season July 14-September 30
- Rainbow Trout: Closed during Youth-Only Fishery
- Dolly Varden: Closed during Youth-Only Fishery
For additional information, please review the page 45-46 of the 2018 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulation Summary booklet or contact the Anchorage Sport Fish Information Center at (907) 267-2218.