Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
October 02, 2019
Fall Fishing Report
- The rain has finally come, and most rivers have fairly high levels of water right now. This means lots of coho salmon escapement.
- The Buskin River has seen a decent amount of fish come in the last week and the coho salmon count as of October 1, 2019, was 5,037 at the Buskin Weir. The weir was pulled for the season but coho salmon will likely be entering the drainage for at least another week. The Buskin River reopens to fishing for coho salmon on Friday, October 4, 2019. Anglers are allowed one coho per day and in possession, under general regulation. Please see corresponding Emergency Order below.
- Other Road System rivers have been seeing some fish too such as the Olds, Kalsin Pond, American, Sargent and Roslyn. Road System coho salmon runs in general appear to be decent this year but nothing spectacular.
- Pillar and Monashka creeks are the wild cards right now, they are very high so its hard to tell if there are fish coming in, but with the high water they should be seeing great escapement now.
- Most saltwater fishing is over for the season, but halibut, lingcod, and rockfish are still available, and fishing is usually good through October.
- Winter king fishing tends to pick up in November and can be good all winter long with hot spots showing up in places like Kalsin Bay, Chiniak, Buoy 4, and Sharatin Bay off and on through the winter months.
- Fall rainbow fishing can be great but most anglers will be waiting for ice this winter. There is typically a hard freeze in early November that gives folks the first crack at ice fishing!
Please review the Emergency Orders and News Releases below in their entirety before heading out on your next fishing trip.
- NEW: Emergency Order 2-SS-4-55-19 reopens the Buskin River Drainage to sport fishing for coho salmon effective 12:01 a.m. Friday, October 4 through 11:59 Tuesday, December 31, 2019. The coho bag and possession limit is one fish under general regulations.
- Emergency Order 2-RS-4-45-19 restores the bag limit for sockeye salmon in the Saltery River to 5 per day through 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019.
- Emergency Order 2-RS-4-26-19 increases the bag limit for sockeye salmon in the Buskin River to 5 per day through 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, December 31, 2019
This is the last fishing report for the 2019 fishing season. This fishing report will be updated when additional information is available. For current seasonal information, please contact the Kodiak Office at (907) 486-1880.