Area Sport Fishing Reports
Archived Sport Fishing Report
June 14, 2019
Week of June 12 – June 18
- Anglers are reminded that flowing waters in the Palmer-Wasilla Zone are CLOSED to all fishing until
- Many flowing waters along the Parks Highway are catch-and-release ONLY for rainbow trout until June 15.
- A Youth-Only King fishery (15 years old and younger) will take place at the Eklutna Tailrace Saturday, June 15 from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The area open to youth-only anglers is from the mouth of the Tailrace to the pedestrian bridge. Please be respectful to our youth in this area during this time and leave this designated area open for the kids. The remainder of the tailrace is open for all anglers. Fishing has picked up and should improve into the weekend.
Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden, and Grayling
- Rainbow fishing is good as king salmon begin to enter the rivers along the Parks Highway streams. Try a variety of flies including fry patterns, nymphs, egg sucking leaches, woolly buggers, leeches, or sculpins.
- For the adventurer, try a hike up the North or Middle forks of Montana Creek.
- There are plenty of places to camp along Willow, Kashwitna (Susitna Landing), and Montana Creeks and up into Talkeetna. Take advantage of camping and rainbow fishing this weekend.
- Pike fishing can be excellent in June as they aggressively feed this time of year.
- Anglers may retain as many pike as they catch- there are no bag or possession limits.
- Road-accessible pike fishing locations include: Big lake, Nancy Lake Recreation Area Lakes, Long Lake near Willow, Memory, Prator, Anderson, and King Lakes.
- Boat-accessible pike can be found in the side sloughs of the Deshka River, Alexander Creek, Fish Creek (Kroto Slough).
- Make Dad’s day by taking him out for some big rainbows! Lakes with good catch rates right now include Lucille, Finger, and Matanuska.
- If you want to make a 4-wheeling adventure this weekend, try Ruby or Wishbone lakes. Wishbone Lake is catch-and-release only, single-hook.
- To see which lakes have recently been stocked, please visit the Hatcheries and Stocking webpage.
Please review the Emergency Orders and News Releases below in their entirety before heading out on your next fishing trip.
- Emergency Order 2-KS-2-05-19 closed king salmon fishing in the Susitna River drainage and only one, unbaited, single-hook artificial lure may be used while fishing for other species.
- Emergency Order 2-KS-2-06-19 closed king salmon fishing in the Little Susitna River and only one, unbaited, single-hook artificial lure may be used while fishing for other species.
- Emergency Order 2-NP-2-16-19 closed Alexander and Sucker lakes to sport fishing.
- Emergency Order 2-KS-2-17-19 restricted Yentna Subsistence Fishery to Wednesdays and Fridays each week in June.
For additional information, please contact the ADF&G Palmer Area Office at (907) 746-6300