Area Sport Fishing Reports
North Gulf Coast \ Resurrection Bay
Archived Sport Fishing Report
May 24, 2019
Week of May 22 - May 28
General Area Description: Salt waters within 200 miles of shore from the longitude of Gore Point to the longitude of Cape Fairfield. All fresh waters between Gore Point and Cape Fairfield.
- The king salmon limit in Resurrection Bay is currently two per day, any size. There is no annual or seasonal king salmon limit in effect, and there is no king salmon harvest reporting requirement, but a king salmon stamp is required.
- King fishing in the bay is getting better and should continue to improve. Most anglers are having better luck further out.
- Sockeye salmon are in Resurrection Bay but not in large numbers yet. That should continue to improve over the next week. If you are out there trying now, you must have a little more patience than if you wait another week.
- Lingcod fishing will open on July 1 in the North Gulf Coast; however, lingcod fishing is always closed in Resurrection Bay.
- Halibut fishing has been reported as good. Good weather last week helped anglers get out and get their limits.
- Rockfish limits year-round are 4 fish per day, 8 in possession of which only 1 per day and 2 in possession can be a nonpelagic rockfish. Stop by the ADF&G office in Anchorage for a handy ID sheet!
- Effective January 2020, the use of a deepwater release mechanism will be required to be onboard all vessels sportfishing statewide and they must be used to release rockfish at depth of capture or 100 feet, whichever is shallower.
- Never heard of deepwater release?? Check out our webpage for more info!
Other Saltwater Fishing
- Dolly Varden fishing around Lowell Point has been good.
- Reports of catches in the Resurrection Bay and also Resurrection River have come in. Timing is right and this would be the time to try and get some!
Rainbow Trout/Dolly Varden
- Try creek mouths for Dolly Varden this time of the year. Casting small spinners and spoons off the beach can provide some good action.
- If you are fly fishing, fry and smolt patterns are good to use in Seward area streams this time of the year.
- There are no freshwater drainages in Resurrection Bay open to salmon fishing at this time of the year.
- First Lake fishing was great last weekend. Lots of rainbow trout to catch! This is a great spot for the kids!
- There are currently no Emergency Orders in effect for the North Gulf Coast Management Area.
For additional information, please contact the ADF&G Anchorage Sport Fish Info Desk at (907) 267-2218.