Area Sport Fishing Reports
North Gulf Coast \ Resurrection Bay
May 16, 2019
Week of May 15 - May 21
General Area Description: Salt waters within 200 miles of shore from the longitude of Gore Point to the longitude of Cape Fairfield. All fresh waters between Gore Point and Cape Fairfield.
- The king salmon limit in Resurrection Bay is currently two per day, any size. There is no annual or seasonal king salmon limit in effect, and there is no king salmon harvest reporting requirement, but a king salmon stamp is required.
- King fishing in the bay has picked up. It’s still a little early for king salmon returning to the Seward Lagoon.
- Sockeye salmon should start to show up in Resurrection Bay any day now.
- Lingcod fishing will open on July 1 in the North Gulf Coast; however, lingcod fishing is always closed in Resurrection Bay.
- Halibut fishing has been reported as fair to good. Weather was good last week and more people got out!
- Rockfish limits year-round are 4 fish per day, 8 in possession of which only 1 per day and 2 in possession can be a nonpelagic rockfish. Stop by the ADF&G office in Anchorage for a handy ID sheet!
- Effective January 2020, the use of a deepwater release mechanism will be required to be onboard all vessels sportfishing statewide and they must be used to release rockfish at depth of capture or 100 feet, whichever is shallower.
- Never heard of deepwater release?? Check out our webpage for more info!
Other Saltwater Fishing
- Dolly Varden fishing should be good around Lowell Point.
- No reports of hooligan. They have been known to arrive late May and be gone fairly quickly.
Rainbow Trout/Dolly Varden
- Try creek mouths for Dolly Varden this time of the year. Casting small spinners and spoons off the beach can provide some good action.
- If you are fly fishing, fry and smolt patterns are good to use in Seward area streams this time of the year.
- There are no freshwater drainages in Resurrection Bay open to salmon fishing at this time of the year.
- First Lake is open only for youth anglers 15 years old and young from May 16 - May 19, 2019. Recent rainbow trout stocking should provide a good time for the kids!
There are currently no Emergency Orders for the North Gulf Coast Management Area.
For additional information, please contact the ADF&G Anchorage Sport Fish Info Desk at (907) 267-2218.