Area Sport Fishing Reports
July 12, 2018
Regulation Reminders and Emergency Orders
- Per Emergency Order No. 2-RS-5-32-18, effective, July 12, 2018, the bag and possession limit for sockeye salmon was reduced from five fish to two fish in all waters of the Kvichak River / Lake Iliamna drainage. The bag and possession limit restrictions apply to the waters of the Kvichak, Newhalen, and Tazimina rivers and their tributaries, and Clark, Sixmile, and Iliamna lakes and all other tributaries into these lakes. In addition, this emergency order closed sport fishing for sockeye salmon in the following waters to eliminate the potential for conflict between sport and subsistence fisheries:
- In Alexi Creek and all waters within 150 yards of its confluence with Newhalen River.
- The waters of Sixmile Lake and one-quarter mile downstream of Sixmile Lake in the Newhalen River and the lower one-quarter mile of the Tazimina River.
- All waters within one-half-mile of the confluence of Gibraltar River with Lake Iliamna.
- The waters of Kvichak River between ADF&G regulatory markers posted adjacent to the community of Igiugig.
- Per Emergency Order No. 2-RS-5-28-18, effective July 4, 2018, the bag and possession limit for sockeye salmon was increased to ten fish in all waters of the Wood River drainage.
- Anglers are reminded to review Emergency Orders and News Releases and the 2018 Southwest Sport Fishing Regulations Summary booklet for the Bristol Bay Area before heading out on their next fishing trip.
- Sport fishing in the Naknek River is currently reported as good to very good.
- Sport fishing is currently reported as fair to good in the Alagnak River.
- Sport fishing in the Nushagak drainage is reported as fair.
- The sonar near Portage Creek has been operational since June 7 and a total of 84,145 king salmon have been counted by the sonar through July 11. This is near desired levels. Management will be in accordance with the Nushagak/Mulchatna King Salmon Management Plan.
- Weir counts are posted daily on the ADF&G Fish Count webpage.
- In the Togiak River and nearby drainages fishing for king salmon is currently reported as good to very good.
Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden, Arctic Grayling
- In the Naknek River drainage fishing for rainbow trout is reported as good this week.
- In the Togiak River and nearby drainages fishing should be good.
- In the Wood River Lakes system fishing continues to be reported as good to excellent.
- In the Naknek and Alagnak drainages fishing is reported as fair to good.
- In the Wood River Lake system fish continue to be caught in shallow weedy bays.
- In the Nushagak Bay area fishing should be fair off the coast of Protection Point.